TRINIDADIAN PELAU WITH CHICKEN
Maya Feller, M.S., RD, CDN, of Brooklyn-based Maya Feller Nutrition, recommends this cost-conscious recipe to clients looking to prepare satisfying, nutritious meals at home. "Pelau is a hearty dish that can be prepared in big batches and enjoyed over time," she says. (This recipe was part of a feature story, "The Real Cost of Healthy Food," in EatingWell magazine and has not been tested by our Test Kitchen.)
Provided by Maya Feller M.S., RD, CDN
Categories Healthy Chicken Thigh Recipes
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Place brown sugar in a large heavy pot. Cook over medium heat, tilting the pan to redistribute it occasionally, until it melts and starts to caramelize, about 3 minutes. (Take care not to let the sugar burn.) Add chicken and stir to coat. Add coconut milk, water, carrots, salt and pepper; bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer, cover and cook until the chicken is cooked through, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in rice and peas. Cook, covered, until heated through, about 5 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 646 calories, Carbohydrate 74 g, Cholesterol 113 mg, Fat 26 g, Fiber 7 g, Protein 28 g, SaturatedFat 9 g, Sodium 752 mg, Sugar 13 g
Pelau, rice cooked with meat and vegetables, really exemplifies Trinidadian cuisine because it is an admixture of various cooking styles.
Provided by Ramin Ganeshram
Yield 6 servings
Number Of Ingredients 19
- If using dried peas, soak them overnight in 3 cups of water. Drain. Bring 3 fresh cups of water to a boil in a saucepan and add the peas. Simmer for 15 minutes, or until cooked almost completely through. Drain and set aside. If using canned beans, drain, rinse with cold water, drain again, and set aside. Wash the rice by placing it in a colander or fine-mesh sieve and running cold water over it until the water runs clear, about 1 minute. Drain well and set aside.
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a Dutch oven or other heavy, deep pot. Add the sugar and swirl in the pot, stirring constantly; allow it to caramelize to a dark brown color. Add the chicken and stir well to coat. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Stir in 2 cups of water, the coconut milk, bay leaf, Green Seasoning, parsley, thyme, carrots, and scallions. Season with salt. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir the rice, squash, peas, hot pepper, ketchup, and butter into the chicken. Cover and cook for 20 minutes, or until the peas and vegetables are tender. Remove lid and fluff the rice. The rice should be moist but not sticky. Remove bay leaf, thyme sprig, and hot pepper.
- Note: Pigeon peas are traditional in this dish, but pinto beans or black-eyes peas also work well because, like pigeon peas, they hold their shape well after cooking. Brown sugar is preferable for deeper flavor and color. Chicken is the most common meat in pelau, but cuts of stew beef or lamb work just as well. If using meat, up the cooking time before adding the rice to 40 minutes to allow the meat to get tender. In Tobago, pelau is often made with crab. West Indian pumpkin (also called calabaza) is ideal for this recipe, although the pie or "cheese" pumpkin common in the U.S., if in season, makes a very good substitute. Butternut squash will also work, although it will be slightly less sweet.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the vinegar and 1 tablespoon of salt. Add chicken and soak for 20 minutes. Rinse chicken, and season with salt and pepper. Discard vinegar, and set chicken aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep saucepan or Dutch oven. Add the onion and garlic; cook and stir until browned. Add the chicken pieces, and fry until browned all over, stirring constantly. Pour in the rice, and season with thyme and curry powder. Stir in the water.
- Cover, and cook over medium heat for about 20 minutes, or until rice is tender and has absorbed all of the liquid.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 595.1 calories, Carbohydrate 54 g, Cholesterol 113.6 mg, Fat 26.1 g, Fiber 2.5 g, Protein 33.4 g, SaturatedFat 7.1 g, Sodium 1279.6 mg, Sugar 1.1 g
Posting for ZWT 5 For the Caribbean region Trindad This is different from the other Pelau recipe posted It is a one pot meal.
Provided by wicked cook 46
Categories One Dish Meal
Yield 5 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 15
- Rinse chicken and rub with lime.
- In a large bowl: add salt, black pepper, garlic, half of the brown sugar, and half of the worcestershire sauce to chicken, then set aside (the longer you let it sit, the better the flavor!).
- Heat oil in large deep pot. When hot, sprinkle in remaining brown sugar. Once sugar begins to bubble, add chicken and coat well until chicken is nicely browned.
- Add carrots, rice, hot pepper, water and coconut milk. Mix well. Cover tightly and cook on very low heat 30-45 mins until rice is almost fully cooked. Do not stir while cooking.
- Add pigeon peas and raisins. Continue cooking on low heat 10-15 mins until rice is fully cooked. Add additional worcestershire sauce to taste.
- VARIATION: pork or beef can be used instead of chicken.
Pelau (Rice, Chicken and Pigeon Peas) Popular Trinidad Dish that can be cooked with any type of meat. Recipe with some personal edits is from Trinidad and Tobago Naparima Girls' High School Cookbook
Provided by SpyceeTrini
Categories One Dish Meal
Yield 8-10 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 20
- Season chicken with salt, pepper, green seasoning, minced garlic, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce and ketchup.
- Heat oil in a large heavy iron pot or skillet.
- Add sugar and allow to burn until brown.
- Add seasoned chicken and stir until pieces are well coated with burnt sugar; brown for 3-5 minutes. *Add more water if needed.
- Add rice and turn often until well mixed. Cook for 3 minutes more.
- Add onion, sweet peppers, carrots and pumpkin and cook for a few minutes, stirring a few times.
- Add peas, salt, hot pepper, coconut milk and broth. Bring to the boil, lower heat, cover and simmer until rice is cooked and all liquid is evaporated (about 25-30 minutes).
- Add more liquid if rice is still hard and continue to cook for few more minutes.
- Note: Pelau could also be baked in an oven. Cover pot with tin foil and bake at 350F degrees for 30-35 minutes.
Pelau is a stew from Trinidad made with either beef or chicken. The unique flavor comes from searing the meat in caramelized sugar then simmering with rice, coconut milk, and pigeon peas. Serve accompanied by slices of tomato, avocadoes, or cucumber.
Provided by TRINIREDLOCKS
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Cook sugar in a large saucepan over medium heat until it begins to caramelize. Stir in the beef, and cook until well browned. Bring the water, coconut milk, rice, pigeon peas, and carrot to a simmer; cover and cook until rice is done, about 25 minutes. Stir in parsley to garnish.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 540.9 calories, Carbohydrate 58.3 g, Cholesterol 50.7 mg, Fat 24.8 g, Fiber 5.3 g, Protein 22.1 g, SaturatedFat 13.5 g, Sodium 69.4 mg, Sugar 7.9 g
More about "chicken pelau recipes"
TRINIDAD PELAU CHICKEN AND PIGEON PEAS RECIPE
4/5 (136)Total Time 2 hrs 35 minsCategory Dinner, Entree, LunchCalories 690 per serving
CHICKEN PELAU | NESTLé RECIPES
Servings 8Calories 603 per servingTotal Time 52 mins
LAMB OR CHICKEN PELAU RECIPE | ENTREE RECIPES | PBS FOOD
TRINIDAD PELAU: POPULAR CHICKEN, RICE AND PIGEON PEAS DISH
TRINI PELAU - TRINIDAD CHICKEN RECIPE: EASY CARIBBEAN RECIPES
UPGRADE YOUR CHICKEN DINNER WITH THIS HIGHLY ADDICTIVE …
TRINIDAD CHICKEN PELAU - IMMACULATE BITES
CHICKEN PILAU RECIPE - SOUTHERN STYLE | GRITSANDPINECONES.COM
TRINI CHICKEN PELAU - SWEET & SORREL
TRINIDAD CHICKEN PELAU RECIPE - THERESCIPES.INFO
QUICK & SIMPLE CHICKEN PELAU - COOKING WITH RIA
PELAU - TRADITIONAL AND AUTHENTIC GRENADIAN RECIPE | 196 FLAVORS
THE ULTIMATE “WET” CHICKEN PELAU. - CARIBBEANPOT.COM
CHICKEN PELAU - CARIBBEAN COOKING - DOMINICAEXPLORER.COM
CHICKEN & LENTIL PELAU MEAL KIT DELIVERY | GOODFOOD
CHICKEN PELAU - THE HUNGARY BUDDHA EATS THE WORLD
CHICKEN & LENTIL PELAU MEAL KIT DELIVERY | GOODFOOD
AMAZING TRINI CHICKEN PELAU & HOMEMADE BREAD - YOUTUBE
TRINIDAD PELAU WITH CHICKEN - IN SEARCH OF YUMMY-NESS
CHICKEN PELAU RECIPE - MYTRINIGROCERY.COM
THE BEST PELAU TO DATE - SIMPLY TRINI COOKING
PELAU - SIMPLY TRINI COOKING
CHICKEN PILAU (PERLO) - SOUTH YOUR MOUTH
TRADITIONAL TRINIDADIAN CHICKEN PELAU RECIPE | DELICIOUS. MAGAZINE
7 TIPS FOR PERFECT CHICKEN PELAU - CHRIS DE LA ROSA - YOUTUBE
CHICKEN PELAU - THE STAFF CANTEEN
COOKING BAJAN STYLE: PELAU - LOOP BARBADOS
THE ULTIMATE PELAU RECIPE | CLASSIC BAKES
CHICKEN PELAU - ASILI GLAM
CHEF IRIE'S TRINIDADIAN CHICKEN PELAU - TASTE THE ISLANDS
PAM'S CHICKEN PELAU - NICOLE'STABLE MAIN COURSE RECIPES
TRINIDAD PELAU - COOKING WITH RIA
TRINIDADIAN CHICKEN PELAU - KITRUSY
CURRY CHICKEN PELAU. - CARIBBEANPOT.COM
CHICKEN PELAU RECIPE - ALL INFORMATION ABOUT HEALTHY RECIPES AND ...
PELAU RECIPE – COOL RUNNINGS FOODS CA
DOMINICAN PELAU RECIPE - DOMINICA GOURMET
HOW TO MAKE TRINI CHICKEN PELAU | FOODIE NATION - YOUTUBE
INSTANT POT PELAU RECIPE - THISBAGOGIRL
TRINIDAD CHICKEN PELAU - THISBAGOGIRL
#time-to-make #course #cuisine #preparation #north-american #main-dish #caribbean #central-american #one-dish-meal #4-hours-or-less
You'll also love