Crumbled crackers often top this casserole, but we prefer homemade breadcrumbs because they soak up more butter.
Provided by Pam Lolley
Yield Serves 4
Number Of Ingredients 15
- Preheat broiler. Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in a skillet over medium-high. Add onion, bell pepper, celery, scallions, and garlic. Cook, stirring, until vegetables soften, 5 to 7 minutes. Add oysters and mushrooms. Bring to a simmer, and cook, stirring often, 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in a small saucepan over medium. Whisk in flour, and cook, whisking constantly, until smooth, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Add cream, and cook, whisking constantly, until very thick and beginning to bubble. Add Parmesan, and cook, whisking constantly, until cheese is melted. Remove from heat.
- Using a fine wire-mesh strainer, strain oyster mixture; discard liquid. Add oyster mixture to cheese sauce; stir until fully incorporated. Stir in salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Spread mixture in a lightly greased (with cooking spray) 11- x 7-inch baking dish. Melt remaining 2 tablespoons of butter; toss breadcrumbs with melted butter. Sprinkle breadcrumbs over oyster mixture.
- Broil on middle rack of oven until breadcrumbs are deep golden brown and mixture is bubbly, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Grease a 9x13 inch casserole dish. Drain the oysters, reserving juice.
- In a small mixing bowl combine margarine and crushed saltine crackers. Cut the oysters into small pieces, set aside. In a small mixing bowl combine cream, oyster juice and Worcestershire sauce.
- Spread one can of corn onto the bottom of the casserole dish. Layer 1/2 of the oysters over the corn, 1/2 of the cracker mixture. Repeat layering with remaining ingredients. Pour the oyster juice mixture over the top of the entire casserole. Cover the casserole dish with aluminum foil.
- Bake casserole for 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 30 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 446.4 calories, Carbohydrate 41 g, Cholesterol 95.6 mg, Fat 29 g, Fiber 2.1 g, Protein 8.6 g, SaturatedFat 16.1 g, Sodium 828.6 mg, Sugar 3.5 g
MOM'S OYSTER STEW
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic, salt and pepper; cook and stir until fragrant, about 5 minutes. Stir in the milk and half-and-half, and transfer to the top of a double boiler. If you do not have one, set the pan of soup over a pan of simmering water.
- When the milk is hot, add the oysters and heat just until the oysters are opaque. Do not allow to boil. Season with fresh parsley, cayenne pepper and sherry. Go easy on the sherry until you are sure you like it in the stew.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 315.9 calories, Carbohydrate 15.7 g, Cholesterol 156.5 mg, Fat 18.8 g, Fiber 0.1 g, Protein 18.9 g, SaturatedFat 10.1 g, Sodium 952.6 mg, Sugar 3 g
- Preheat oven to 375°F with rack in middle. Butter a 2-quart shallow baking dish.
- Spread bread crumbs in a 4-sided sheet pan and bake, stirring occasionally, until golden-brown, about 15 minutes. Transfer to a plate to cool slightly.
- Whisk together eggs, cream, milk, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, parsley, and 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Gently stir in oysters and bread crumbs.
- Pour into baking dish and bake until custard is set and top is golden, 25 to 30 minutes.
- What to drink:
- Lagier Meredith Mount Veeder Napa Valley Syrah '06
The holidays are the perfect time to indulge in a rich and buttery dish like this. You can assemble and refrigerate it the night before, then top with the remaining crumbs and seasonings just before baking.
Provided by Taste of Home
Categories Side Dishes
Yield 9 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 8
- In a small bowl, toss the cracker crumbs and butter. In another bowl, combine the salt, nutmeg and pepper. In a greased 11x7-in. baking dish, layer half of the crumbs, half of the oysters and 1/4 teaspoon of seasoning mixture., Combine soup and milk; pour over the top. Layer with remaining oysters and another 1/4 teaspoon of seasoning mixture. Top with remaining crumbs and seasonings. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
Nutrition Facts :
MOM'S OYSTER CASSEROLE
My mother has made this casserole every thanksgiving for as long as I can remember. It just wouldn't be the holidays without it. If my brother can't make it home for the holidays, it is one of his special requests when he is able to get home. The prep time is me using a food processor to chop and doesn't include the time to cut oysters in half if they are too large. I hope you enjoy it as much as my family does.
Provided by Tish in OH
Yield 6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 13
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Drain oysters well, reserving liquid.
- Generously grease a shallow 1-1/2-quart casserole dish.
- Sprinkle half the crackers over the bottom.
- Lay half the oysters on top of crackers.
- Sprinkle with half the onions, parsley, lemon juice, salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce.
- Dot generously with butter and pour half the cream, milk and reserved juice from the oysters.
- Repeat the layers but save the remaining cracker crumbs for the top.
- Add a dash of Tabasco if desired before covering with the crumbs.
- Cover with the remaining cracker crumbs.
- Dust enough with paprika to make it really red on top.
- Bake 30 minutes or until the casserole is set (when you jiggle it, it shakes like set Jello).
- Serve hot.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 341.7, Fat 26.9, SaturatedFat 15.6, Cholesterol 107.7, Sodium 351.4, Carbohydrate 15.4, Fiber 0.6, Sugar 0.4, Protein 10.3
LOUISIANA OYSTER CASSEROLE
- Pour the oysters into a shallow 9" pie plate.
- Sprinkle with parsley and onions.
- Scatter the cracker crumbs on top.
- Melt butter and add lemon juice, mustard and Worcestershire sauce.
- Pour mixture over the crumbs and bake 450F until oysters curl slightly and crumbs are brown appro 10-15 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 420.1, Fat 26.3, SaturatedFat 15.3, Cholesterol 117.6, Sodium 313.8, Carbohydrate 32.2, Fiber 1.6, Sugar 1, Protein 14.4
More about "moms oyster casserole recipes"
10 BEST BAKED OYSTER CASSEROLE RECIPES | YUMMLY
BEST EVER OYSTER CASSEROLE RECIPE - OYSTER OBSESSION®
25 BEST OYSTER RECIPES FOR AN EASY GOURMET DINNER
MOM'S OYSTER DISH - RECIPE | COOKS.COM
RYAN SEACREST'S MOM MAKES OYSTER CASSEROLE
15 BEST OYSTER RECIPES - THE SPRUCE EATS
SOUTHERN OYSTER CASSEROLE RECIPES
OYSTER CASSEROLE RECIPES (THE BEST!) - OYSTER OBSESSION™
8 OYSTER CASSEROLE RECIPE IDEAS - EASY RECIPES
32 OF MOM’S BEST CASSEROLE RECIPES - TASTE OF HOME
RECIPE: CHEF KEVIN'S MOM'S BAKED OYSTERS | WWLTV.COM
OYSTER CASSEROLE RECIPE - WOMAN'S DAY
OYSTER CASSEROLE - SPICY SOUTHERN KITCHEN
YOUR GRANDMA'S OYSTER CASSEROLE – HAMA HAMA OYSTER COMPANY
SOUTHERN OYSTER CASSEROLE RECIPE | EPICURIOUS
RYAN SEACREST'S MOM MAKES OYSTER CASSEROLE - YOUTUBE
CHEF KEVIN'S MOM'S BAKED OYSTER RECIPE - FACEBOOK WATCH
OYSTER CASSEROLE | HOW TO FEED A LOON
OYSTER CASSEROLE – HAMA HAMA OYSTER COMPANY
OYSTER CASSEROLE RECIPE | YUMMLY | RECIPE | OYSTER CASSEROLE …
OYSTER CASSEROLE RECIPE RECIPES ALL YOU NEED IS FOOD
AOL VIDEO - SERVING THE BEST VIDEO CONTENT FROM AOL AND
MOM'S OYSTER STEW - RECIPE - COOKS.COM
57 OYSTER RECIPES IDEAS | OYSTER RECIPES, RECIPES, OYSTERS
HOLIDAY OYSTER CASSEROLE - PURSUIT OF IT ALL
OYSTER CASSEROLE | SWISS DIAMOND RECIPES
MOM'S SCALLOPED OYSTERS - JOANNE WEIR
OYSTER CASSEROLE - MERE POINT OYSTER COMPANY
CREAMY SCALLOPED OYSTER CASSEROLE RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
OYSTER CASSEROLE RECIPE USING SALTINES : OPTIMAL RESOLUTION LIST ...
SIMPLE OYSTER CASSEROLE RECIPES ALL YOU NEED IS FOOD
CRAB AND OYSTER COMPANY CASSEROLE RECIPE - FOOD NEWS
SUPERMARKET OYSTERS ARE THE STAR OF MY THANKSGIVING | FOOD & WINE
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How do you make oyster casserole?In a small mixing bowl combine margarine and crushed saltine crackers. Cut the oysters into small pieces, set aside. In a small mixing bowl combine cream, oyster juice and Worcestershire sauce. Spread one can of corn onto the bottom of the casserole dish.
How do you cook oysters on crackers?Generously grease a shallow 1-1/2-quart casserole dish. Sprinkle half the crackers over the bottom. Lay half the oysters on top of crackers. Sprinkle with half the onions, parsley, lemon juice, salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce.
What is your oyster recipe of the day?Oysters cooked in cream with leeks and bacon get topped with mashed potatoes and breadcrumbs in Your Oyster Recipe of the Day: Crawfish Macaroni and Cheese with Fried Oysters. New Orleans chef Nick Gile tops a decadent, crawfish, bacon and jalapeno Your Oyster Recipe of the Day: Wild Rice and Oyster Casserole.
What temperature do you cook oysters in the oven?Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Grease a 9x13 inch casserole dish. Drain the oysters, reserving juice. In a small mixing bowl combine margarine and crushed saltine crackers. Cut the oysters into small pieces, set aside.