LENTIL AND BULGUR SALAD
- In a medium saucepan, cover lentils with water by 1 inch. Bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer. Cover, and cook until lentils are tender but still holding their shape, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, bring 1 cup water to a boil in a small saucepan. Stir in bulgur,1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4teaspoon pepper. Cover; remove from heat, and let stand until bulgur has absorbed liquid, 30 minutes.
- Transfer bulgur to a large bowl. Gently stir in lentils, tomatoes, scallions, lemon juice, and oil. Serve sprinkled with feta.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 367 g, Fat 11 g, Fiber 19 g, Protein 18 g
BULGUR AND LENTIL SALAD
The best lentils for this hearty salad are French green lentils or black beluga lentils. They're more likely to stay intact while cooking than brown lentils.
Provided by Martha Rose Shulman
Yield Serves six
Number Of Ingredients 13
- Combine the lentils, onion, garlic and bay leaf in a saucepan, and add 2 to 3 cups water, enough to cover by an inch or two. Bring to a gentle boil, add salt to taste, reduce the heat, cover and simmer 25 minutes until tender but intact. Remove from the heat. Remove and discard the onion, garlic cloves and bay leaf. Drain.
- Meanwhile, place the bulgur in a medium bowl, and add salt to taste. Cover with 2 cups hot or boiling water, and allow to sit for 20 to 25 minutes until most of the water is absorbed. Drain through a strainer and squeeze out the water.
- Combine the lentils, bulgur, scallions, radishes, parsley and mint in a large bowl or salad bowl. Whisk together the lemon juice, cumin, salt and pepper to taste, and the olive oil. Toss with the salad, and serve.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 372, UnsaturatedFat 16 grams, Carbohydrate 43 grams, Fat 19 grams, Fiber 8 grams, Protein 12 grams, SaturatedFat 3 grams, Sodium 309 milligrams, Sugar 2 grams
RED LENTIL AND BULGHUR SALAD
- In a medium saucepan, combine lentils and 5 cups water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce to a simmer and cook, until lentils are soft, 15 to 20 minutes. Stir in bulghur and 1/2 cup oil. Season with herbamare. Cover and remove from heat. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, In a large skillet, heat 5 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat. Add onions, and cook, stirring occasionally, until brown, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Place red pepper in a food processor and puree. In a small nonstick skillet, heat remaining tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add red pepper, and cook, stirring frequently, until puree becomes dry, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add onions and red-pepper puree to lentils, and stir to combine. Taste and adjust for seasoning. Transfer to serving dish. In a small bowl, stir together tomato, parsley, and scallion. Serve lentils garnished with tomato mixture.
RED LENTIL SALAD
- Bring the lentils and bay leaf to a boil in 3 cups water, then reduce the heat and simmer until the water cooks away, 15 to 18 minutes. Skim any by-product away as the lentils cook.
- Meanwhile, cover the potatoes with water in a small pot and bring to boil. Salt the water and boil for 5 minutes. Drain the potatoes and run under cold water to cool. Drain well and transfer to a large bowl.
- Drain the lentils and run under cold water to cool. Drain well and add to the potatoes.
- Meanwhile, heat the vegetable oil in a skillet and saute the onions, garlic, ginger and chile pepper until softened. Stir in the tamarind paste and spices to toast them, then remove from the heat.
- Add the spice mixture to the lentils and potatoes. Gently stir in the cilantro, spinach and lime juice. If the salad seems dry, add a little more oil. Serve.
CRUNCH'S LENTIL SALAD
- Bring water and lentils to a boil in a saucepan. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until lentils are almost tender, about 15 minutes; add bulgur and salt. Cover saucepan and remove from heat; set aside until bulgur is tender and water is absorbed, about 20 minutes.
- Heat 1 teaspoon olive oil in a skillet over medium heat; cook and stir onion and garlic until until tender and fragrant, 5 to 10 minutes. Add tomatoes and red bell pepper; cook and stir until red bell pepper is tender, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Combine bulgur-lentil mixture and vegetable mixture in a bowl; add balsamic vinegar and 2 tablespoons olive oil and toss to coat.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 170.6 calories, Carbohydrate 25.7 g, Fat 4.5 g, Fiber 9.8 g, Protein 7.9 g, SaturatedFat 0.6 g, Sodium 9.6 mg, Sugar 3.4 g
RED LENTIL AND BULGUR KUFTEH
I adapted this from an Armenian recipe that I found on the back of my packet of red lentils. Kufteh (Persian), köfte (Turkish), and kibbeh (Arabic) are round walnut size patties usually made from pounded meat (the word means "pounded") but sometimes made with fish or vegetable pulp, mixed with fine bulgur, herbs, and spices. Serve this vegetarian version as an appetizer or a side dish.
Provided by Martha Rose Shulman
Yield about 30 kufteh, serving 6 to 8 as an hors d'oeuvre.
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Combine the lentils and water in a large saucepan, bring to a boil, skim off any foam, reduce the heat, add salt to taste and simmer 30 minutes, or until the lentils are soft and most but not all of the water is absorbed.
- Place the bulgur in a bowl, mix with 1/4 teaspoon salt, and pour in the lentils with their liquid. Stir together, then cover and let sit for 30 minutes, until the bulgur is tender and has absorbed all the liquid.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil over medium-low heat and add the onion. Cook gently for 10 to 15 minutes, until golden and very tender. Stir often. Add the ground cumin and stir together for about 30 seconds, then stir into the lentils and bulgur.
- Moisten your hands with water and knead the mixture in the bowl for 3 to 5 minutes. Each time it begins to stick to your hands, moisten them again, and this will moisten the mixture. If it seems very dry and crumbly, add a tablespoon of water. Stir in the remaining tablespoon of olive oil, 1/4 cup of the minced parsley, and for a spicier mixture add 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon Aleppo pepper. Taste and adjust salt.
- Moisten your hands and shape the mixture into walnut-size balls (about 1 inch). You'll have to moisten your hands again whenever the mixture begins to stick to them. Place on a platter and sprinkle with the remaining parsley. Garnish with scallions, romaine lettuce leaves and lemon wedges, and serve, or chill for several hours. Serve cold or at room temperature.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 122, UnsaturatedFat 4 grams, Carbohydrate 15 grams, Fat 5 grams, Fiber 3 grams, Protein 4 grams, SaturatedFat 1 gram, Sodium 223 milligrams, Sugar 1 gram
BULGUR AND LENTIL SALAD WITH TARRAGON AND WALNUTS
- In a small bowl combine shallot and 1 tablespoon vinegar. In a small saucepan simmer lentils in water to cover by 2 inches until just tender but not falling apart, 15 to 20 minutes, and drain well. Add hot lentils to shallot mixture and season with salt and pepper. Cool mixture, stirring occasionally.
- In a small heavy saucepan combine 1 1/2 cups water, bulgur, and salt and simmer, covered, until water is absorbed, 12 to 15 minutes. Transfer bulgur to a large bowl and cool completely, stirring occasionally.
- Add lentils to bulgur with celery, carrot, tarragon, remaining 2 tablespoons vinegar, oil, walnuts,and salt and pepper to taste and toss well. Salad may be make 1 day ahead and chilled, covered. Bring salad to room temperature before serving.
RED LENTIL SALAD WITH FRESH HERBS
Tired of lettuce salads? Enjoy this light, fresh salad, inspired by classic tabbouleh flavors. Cook and drain red lentils, then add fresh herbs, scallions, and Roma tomatoes. Toss with a light dressing of extra-virgin olive oil and lemon juice, garnish with scallion greens, and enjoy for lunch or dinner.
Provided by Bibi
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Bring vegetable stock to a boil in a saucepan and add drained lentils. Stir and reduce to a simmer. Simmer uncovered, for 7 to 8 minutes. Lentils will be slightly undercooked. Drain, and allow to cool, about 30 minutes.
- Place cooled lentils in a large mixing bowl and add minced fresh parsley and mint. Add white parts of the green onions, reserving the chopped greens for the garnish. Add tomatoes.
- Combine extra-virgin olive oil and zest and juice of a lemon in a small bowl. Stir to combine, then pour over the salad and toss. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, before serving.
- Before serving, taste and add salt, if desired. Garnish with reserved chopped green tops of green onions.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 171.9 calories, Carbohydrate 19.3 g, Fat 7.8 g, Fiber 5.2 g, Protein 7.8 g, SaturatedFat 1 g, Sodium 113.6 mg, Sugar 2.2 g
LENTIL SPROUT AND BULGUR SALAD
- In medium saucepan, bring 3 cups water to a boil over high heat. Stir in bulgur. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain in fine-meshed sieve and let cool to room temperature, about 15 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the cooled bulgur, lentil sprouts, capers and vegetables and toss well.
- Mix the olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Pour over the bulgur mix in the bowl and toss until well blended.
- Serve in a pretty bowl over lettuce leaves. Enjoy!
Nutrition Facts : Calories 504.4, Fat 35, SaturatedFat 4.9, Sodium 1458, Carbohydrate 45.7, Fiber 8.2, Sugar 7, Protein 11.6
ARMENIAN LENTIL AND BULGUR CAKES
A vegetarian kibbee from The Cuisine of Armenia. Great with cucumber and tomato salad, tzatziki, pita, rice pilaf, etc. I leave the red/green pepper per family preferences.
Provided by winkki
Yield 4 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 11
- Combine lentils, water and salt in heavy saucepan.
- Bring to boil; simmer until lentils are tender, about 20 min, adding more hot water if needed.
- Add 1/2 cup of the butter and all the bulgur; simmer 2-3 minute Remove from heat and cover; set aside 15 minute.
- In heavy skillet, melt remaining 1/4 cup butter over med heat.
- Add onion and saute until golden brown; stir frequently.
- In large mixing bowl combine sauteed onions with lentil and bulgur mixture.
- Wet hands in warm water and knead mixture until well blended, 2-3 minutes.
- (Wet hands again as needed).
- Add 3 Tbsp each: peppers, green onions, parsley and mint to mixture and mix well.
- Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Keeping hands moistened, form mixture into 1/2" thick patties.
- Arrange on serving dish; sprinkle with reserved sweet pepper, green onions, parsley and mint.
- Season to taste with paprika.
- (If you prefer your kibbee baked, place on oiled baking sheet and place in 375F oven until golden brown-- I never do this so am not sure how long it would take- 10-15 min?).
Nutrition Facts : Calories 583.8, Fat 35.5, SaturatedFat 22, Cholesterol 91.5, Sodium 300.7, Carbohydrate 53.2, Fiber 20.7, Sugar 2.7, Protein 16.7
More about "red lentil and bulghur salad recipes"
LENTIL AND BULGUR SALAD - BASICS
Servings 8-10Total Time 15 minsEstimated Reading Time 50 secs
MEDITERRANEAN BULGUR & LENTIL LUNCH SALAD - THE …
BULGUR & LENTILS RECIPE | EATINGWELL
EASY RED LENTIL SALAD - EVERYDAY EILEEN
EASY RED LENTIL SALAD - VEGAN FAMILY RECIPES
LENTIL SALAD RECIPES | BBC GOOD FOOD
BULGUR AND LENTIL RECIPES (29) - FOOD NEWS
RED LENTIL & BULGUR PATTIES – MRSSLIMONPLANTS
HERBED BULGUR AND LENTILS SALAD RECIPES | SPARKRECIPES
RED LENTIL AND BULGHUR SALAD | RECIPE | LENTIL SALAD RECIPES, LENTIL ...
RECIPE: LENTIL AND BULGUR SALAD - RECIPELINK.COM
MEDITERRANEAN RED LENTIL SALAD - DELICIOUSLY MEDITERRANEAN
BULGUR SALAD WITH RED LENTILS - BOSSKITCHEN.COM
BULGUR WHEAT & LENTIL SALAD | VEGETABLE RECIPES | JAMIE OLIVER
LENTILS WITH BULGUR AND HERB SALAD RECIPE - EASY RECIPES
BULGUR SALAD WITH CUCUMBERS, RED PEPPERS, CHICKPEAS, LEMON & DILL
LENTIL AND BULGUR SALAD RECIPE : SBS FOOD
LENTIL BULGUR SALAD RECIPE: HOW TO MAKE IT - FOOD NEWS
10 BEST BULGUR WHEAT SALAD RECIPES | YUMMLY
10 BEST RED LENTIL SALAD VEGETARIAN RECIPES | YUMMLY
RED LENTIL AND BULGUR PATTIES - LYDIA'S FLEXITARIAN KITCHEN
EGGPLANT, LENTIL, AND BULGUR SALAD RECIPE - RECIPES.NET
BULGUR SALAD - VEGAN HEAVEN
EGGPLANT, LENTIL, AND BULGUR SALAD RECIPE - FOOD & WINE
RED LENTIL AND BULGHUR SALAD | RECIPE | LENTIL SALAD RECIPES, LENTIL ...
HERBED BULGUR AND LENTIL SALAD RECIPE | SPARKRECIPES
TURKISH LENTIL BULGUR BALLS – MERCIMEK KOFTESI (VEGAN)
LENTIL AND BULGUR SALAD: TURKISH BAT - QUICK AND TASTY FOOD
SIMPLE BULGUR AND SPINACH DINNER RECIPE – MY ROI LIST
BULGUR AND LENTIL SALAD WITH CHICKPEAS RECIPE - FOOD & WINE
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
What is the best way to cook lentils and bulgur?Preparation Combine the lentils, onion, garlic and bay leaf in a saucepan, and add 2 to 3 cups water, enough to cover by an inch or two. Bring to a gentle boil, add salt to taste, reduce the heat, cover and simmer 25 minutes until tender but intact. Meanwhile, place the bulgur in a medium bowl, and add salt to taste.
How to cook lentils for lentils soup?Put the lentils, garlic and bay leaves in a saucepan over a medium heat. Cover with plenty of cold water and bring it to the boil. Lower the heat and simmer, covered, for 20 to 30 minutes, or until tender. Drain in a colander, discard the garlic and bay leaves and place the lentils in a large mixing bowl.
What is bulgur salad?Bulgur, also known as burghul, is a cracked wheat common in Middle Eastern cuisine. For this salad, we mix the bulgur with lentils and various herbs to create a textured and fragrant dish. Serves.
How do you cook bulgur?Place the bulgur in a bowl, cover with boiling water and leave to expand and cool for 30 to 45 minutes. Put the lentils, garlic and bay leaves in a saucepan over a medium heat. Cover with plenty of cold water and bring it to the boil. Lower the heat and simmer, covered, for 20 to 30 minutes, or until tender.