SWEDISH LIMPA RYE BREAD
- Combine caraway seeds, fennel seeds, and anise seeds in a spice grinder; pulse until coarsely ground.
- Heat milk and butter in a deep saucepan, stirring occasionally, until butter melts and milk comes to a bare simmer, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and cool until milk registers 100 degrees F (38 degrees C) on an instant-read thermometer.
- Stir molasses and yeast into the milk mixture. Let stand until yeast is foamy, about 5 minutes. Add 2 cups all-purpose flour, rye flour, sea salt, and orange zest; stir until dough forms a shaggy mass. Knead in the saucepan, adding more flour if needed, until dough is no longer sticky, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Turn dough out on a floured surface. Knead, adding more flour if needed, until smooth and springy, about 7 minutes.
- Place dough in a large greased bowl, turning to coat. Cover with a damp kitchen towel or piece of plastic wrap. Let rise in a warm area until somewhat puffy, about 1 hour.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place dough on the baking sheet. Cover lightly with the towel or plastic wrap. Let rise until puffy, about 1 hour 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Bake in the preheated oven until browned, 35 to 40 minutes. Bread will sound hollow when tapped on the bottom.
SWEDISH RYE BREAD
Another blue ribbon bread. This bread is hearty, but not heavy, has a nice flavor, and makes great sandwiches. It is not as easy and light to knead as my white bread... maybe it builds muscles! We all love this bread, my mother especially loved it. This freezes well, if you want to save the second loaf for another time.
Provided by Sweetiebarbara
Categories Yeast Breads
Yield 2 loaves
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Put warm water into glass measuring (1) cup and check temperature with thermometer.
- Sprinkle yeast into warm water and let stand.
- In another glass measuring cup (2 cup) place water and Crisco.
- Microwave to hot, to melt fat.
- In a large bowl, combine sugar, molasses, and salt.
- Pour the Crisco water into bowl. (I usually pour it into, over the bowl, the 1/4 measuring cup I had the sugar, then the molasses inches To get all of the goodies into the bowl!).
- Stir until sugar dissolves.
- Cool to lukewarm (85°F It will probably cool to that as you dissolve the sugar, you just don't want to kill the yeast with too high a temp.).
- Stir in rye flour and beat well. (I use my electric hand mixer).
- Add yeast and caraway seed, and mix well.
- Stir in enough regular flour to make a soft dough.
- Cover with clean towel and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Generously sprinkle kneading surface with flour.
- Knead for 10 minutes.
- Place dough in lightly greased bowl and turn to coat all surfaces.
- Cover and let rise in warm draft free space, until doubled, about 2 hours.
- Punch down.
- Turn out onto lightly floured surface.
- Divide in two (I use a bread knife to slice the ball in half).
- Shape each piece into smooth ball, cover, and let rest 10 minutes (this is called proofing).
- Form each into two round loaves, and place on greased baking sheet.
- Cover and let rise in warm place (I put them in oven with the light on) until doubled again, about 1 1/2 hours.
- If you put them in oven to rise, make sure you take them out before lighting oven!
- Bake at 375°F for about 30 minutes.
- If loaves are getting too brown, you may cover with foil near the end of baking.
- Brush tops, when done, with butter for a soft crust.
SWEDISH RYE BREAD
This recipe came from my mother, and it's long been a family favorite. You can make a meal of it with soup and a salad.
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 4 loaves (8 slices each).
Number Of Ingredients 9
- In a bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup water. Add sugar, molasses, shortening, salt and remaining water; stir well. Add rye flour; beat until smooth. Add enough all-purpose flour to form a soft dough. , Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours. Punch dough down. , Shape into 4 round loaves. Place on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, 45-60 minutes. Bake at 350° until golden brown, 30-35 minutes. Brush with butter.
SWEDISH RYE BREAD I
- Dissolve yeast in warm water.
- Scald milk. Transfer milk to a large bowl, and add salt, molasses, brown sugar, and melted shortening. Cool to lukewarm, and add dissolved yeast. Add rye flour, beating with mixer. Gradually beat in white flour. Place dough in a greased bowl, and turn to coat the surface. Cover with a damp towel, and allow to rise till double in bulk in a warm place.
- Punch down the dough, and place on a lightly floured board. Knead until dough becomes elastic, and does not stick to the board. Allow to rest for 5 minutes. Divide into 3 equal portions, and shape into loaves. Place in greased 9 x 5 inch bread pans. Let rise until double in bulk.
- Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 35 to 40 minutes.
GREAT GRANDMA AMY'S SWEDISH RYE BREAD
This recipe was given to my Grandmother when she was first married to my grandfather, but her mother in law didn't give her the correct recipe!She would make it for dinner and it never tasted correct, my Great Grandma would always bring a spare loaf to dinner,& it somehow always tasted the way it should have. My grandma tried...
Provided by Elizabeth Lancaster
Categories Other Breads
Number Of Ingredients 14
- 1. Ground down your Swedish mix and place in an air tight container. (you will have extra)
- 2. Follow instructions for your bread machine, mine says to put all liquids in first then add dry ingredient's.
- 3. Place warm water in the bottom along with the molasses. then add flours, salt in one corner and butter in the other, brown sugar in the other. I sprinkle my Swedish mix and milk in the center before making my dwell for my yeast.
- 4. Set bread machine to your desired settings, and let the machine do its job and you will have a perfect loaf of bread :)
- 5. I pray your family enjoys my great grandmothers recipe that I have grown up on and love so dearly. This makes such a savory loaf of bread and tastes amazing with jams and honey too ! Enjoy!!
SWEDISH RYE BREAD (BREAD MACHINE)
- Add all the ingredients to the pan according to the order in the manufacturer's instructions.
- Set crust on medium and program for the Basic cycle; press Start.
- When the baking cycle ends, immediately remove the bread from the pan and place it on a rack.
- Let cool to room temperature before slicing.
SWEDISH LIMPA (RYE BREAD)
Provided by Food Network
Yield 2 loaves
Number Of Ingredients 11
- In a saucepan, mix together molasses, water, brown sugar, fennel, and salt. Bring to boiling point, then gently cook, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and add shortening. Let stand until lukewarm.
- Dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup lukewarm water. Add cooled molasses mixture and mix well. Stir in the rye flour. Beat until smooth. Cover and let rise at room temperature overnight, about 9 to 10 hours.
- In the morning add 5 cups white flour, and place remaining 1/2 cup on a pastry cloth or board for kneading. Turn out the dough and knead until smooth and elastic. Place in greased bowl, cover, and let rise until double in size, 2 to 2 1/2 hours.
- Cut dough in half and shape into 2 loaves (round is more traditional). Place in 2 greased 9 inch pie pans. Cover with a clean cloth and let rise until light, about 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bake for 45 to 55 minutes. Remove and brush tops with melted butter.
SWEDISH RYE BREAD
- Place 1/4 cup warm water in small bowl. Sprinkle yeast over; stir to dissolve. Let stand 5 minutes. Combine remaining 2 cups warm water, 1 cup all purpose flour and 1 cup rye flour in bowl. Add yeast mixture. Mix to blend well. Cover bowl with kitchen towel. Let sponge rise 1 hour.
- Mix sugar, corn syrup, shortening, aniseed, coriander, orange peel and salt into sponge. Gradually mix in enough all purpose flour, 1/2 cup at a time, to form slightly sticky dough. Knead on floured surface until smooth and elastic, adding more flour if sticky, about 10 minutes.
- Lightly oil large bowl. Add dough, turning to coat entire surface. Cover bowl with kitchen towel. Let dough rise in warm draft-free area until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
- Grease 2 cookie sheets. Punch dough down. Turn out onto lightly floured surface and knead until smooth. Divide dough into 3 parts. Pat each piece into 5-inch-diameter round. Place on prepared sheets. Cover and let rise in warm draft-free area until almost doubled, about 40 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Pierce each loaf 5 times with fork. Bake until loaves are brown and sound hollow when tapped on bottom, about 1 hour. Transfer to racks. Brush with butter and cool. Serve warm or at room temperature. (Can be made 1 month ahead. Wrap loaves tightly and freeze. Thaw before serving.)
People also searched
More about "swedish rye bread recipes"
SWEDISH RYE BREAD | BETTER HOMES & GARDENS
- Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl place the 1/2 cup butter, the sugar, molasses, and salt. Add the boiling water; stir until butter is melted. Add rye flour.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough of the remaining all-purpose flour to make a moderately stiff dough that is smooth and elastic (8 to 10 minutes total).
- Punch dough down. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide dough in half. Cover; let rest for 10 minutes. Shape each half into a loaf and place in 2 greased 8x4x2-inch or 9x5x3-inch loaf pans.
- Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 35 to 45 minutes or until done. Remove from pans. Brush tops of warm loaves with a little softened butter. Cool on wire rack.
HOMEMADE LIMPA (SWEDISH RYE BREAD) - CRUMB: A FOOD BLOG
2013-01-07 · A traditional Swedish rye loaf - subtly sweet with hints of orange, caraway and fennel. Absolutely perfect when sliced thick and toasted, preferably with a generous slathering of melting butter or chunky orange marmalade. This recipe …
- In a small saucepan set over medium-high heat, bring water, coffee, sugar, caraway, fennel, butter and orange rind to a boil. Cook for about 3 minutes, or until butter is melted and sugar is completely dissolved. Remove from heat and let cool until lukewarm.
- Once the sponge has doubled in size, punch the dough down and knead in the salt and reserved 4 cups flour using your hands or a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook. Dough should feel smooth and elastic.
- Once the dough has once again doubled in size, transfer to a clean, lightly floured work surface and knead for 2-3 minutes or until smooth.
SWEDISH RYE BREAD RECIPE BY BOB - COOKEATSHARE
2012-03-24 · by Bob Vincent. Swedish Rye Bread. Ingredients. Kneaded dough. You can use a bread machine on the dough cycle; a standing mixer or knead by hand. It will take 8-10 minutes by mixer. …
- If using a bread machine load ingredients according to machine instructions. Set the machine for 1 1/2 pound loaf with medium crust. Press start and let the machine do its thing.
- If using a bread machine to knead the dough set the machine to the dough cycle and let the machine do its thing. When kneading is complete proof and shape as with normal bread baking.
- If using a standing mixer or kneading by hand add yeast to warm water and let yeast activate for about 10 minutes; then add remaining ingredients and knead for 8-10 minutes until the dough is elastic and pulls away from the mixer or counter top. Depending on the ambient temperature and the type flour used you may need to adjust water/flour amounts slighty to achieve proper dough texture.
- You can use a standard 2 proof cycle or an overnight slow rise first cycle in the refrigerator. Either way the dough should double in volume for the first rise. The standard proof will take about 2 hours as will the final proof before baking.
SWEDISH RYE BREAD RECIPE | MYRECIPES
2010-03-30 · Recipes; Swedish Rye Bread; Swedish Rye Bread. Rating: 5 stars. 1 Ratings. 5 star values: 1 4 star values: 0 3 star values: 0 2 star values: 0 1 star values: 0 Read Reviews Add Review 1 Rating 1 Review Whole-grain flours such as whole wheat and rye …
- Lightly spoon flours into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flours in a bowl. Add 1 cup flour mixture, sugar, and next 6 ingredients to yeast mixture; beat with a mixer at medium speed until blended. Gradually beat in remaining flour mixture to form a dough. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic (about 10 minutes).
- Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 35 minutes or until doubled in size. (Press two fingers into dough. If indentation remains, dough has risen enough.)
- Punch dough down; place on a lightly floured surface. Knead 10 times, and shape into a 7-inch round. Place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Let rise 1 hour or until doubled in size.
SOURDOUGH LIMPA BREAD RECIPE | SWEDISH RYE BREAD | FOODGEEK
2021-02-06 · In Sweden their preferred rye bread is a sweet rye bread with spices. This is my recipe for sourdough limpa bread. I love rye flour. It has an amazing taste, when baked. Even rye cookies are awesome. My favorite sourdough bread has 20% whole-grain rye flour, and the most perfect 100% rye bread is my danish rye bread.
- To a bowl add: 620g sifted rye flour, 13g salt, ½ tsp ground cloves, 1 tsp cardamom, 1 tsp ginger, 1 tbsp ground bitter orange peel.
KAVRING: SWEDISH DARK RYE BREAD | LEMONS + ANCHOVIES
2014-07-27 · I’ve had success with kavring (A Swedish dark rye bread, recipe here) and now here is an aeblekage, Danish Apple cake. My favorite Cinnamon Apple Cake is here, but […] Reply. Holiday Special: Course One | The Healthy & The Tasty says: December 17, 2014 at 5:00 AM […] the meal; if you’ve got time to spare, self-baked rye bread would be lovely with this soup, here’s a great recipe …
- Mix all the dry ingredients from the rye flour to the sunflower seeds in a large bowl. Add the yogurt and the molasses to the dry ingredients. Stir until combined. This will make a thick dough. If it looks too dry, stir in the milk or cream.
- Pour the dough into the loaf tin and bake for 55 - 60 mins or when the bread temperature reaches 190℉. Cool on a wire rack before serving.
TRADITIONAL SWEDISH WHOLE RYE BREAD - SOURDOUGH&OLIVES
2018-12-13 · Pumpkin seed is not a traditional ingredient in Swedish rye bread, but I think it goes just perfectly with this bread. ABOUT THE SWEETENER A dark bread syrup is used as a sweetener for this kind of bread. If you can’t find bread …
- Soak the seeds in hot water the night before it's time to bake. Place the seeds in a pan or other heatproof container and pour over boiling water. The water shall cover all the seeds. Cover with a lid and let the mixture sit overnight.
- Drain the seeds through a strainer and mix with the levain and the rest of the ingredients. Mix thoroughly so that the seeds are distributed throughout the dough, and so that there is no dry flour left.
SWEDISH RYE BREAD - RECIPE | COOKS.COM
2016-11-06 · RECIPE COLLECTION “SWEDISH RYE BREAD” IS IN: NEXT RECIPE: SWEET DOUGH WITH OATMEAL ~ RELATED RECIPE COLLECTIONS ~ Best Biscuits · Easy Baking · Quick Breads · Muffin Magic · CM's Breads, Rolls & Buns: Printer-friendly version. SWEDISH RYE BREAD : 1/2 cup brown sugar 1 1/2 tsp. salt 1/4 cup molasses 1/4 cup honey 1 cup milk 1 cup water 3 tbsp. butter 1 1/4 cups rye …
KAVRING, A DENSE AND SWEET SWEDISH RYE BREAD – SWEDISH SPOON
2019-12-17 · The Swedish rye bread kavring is not just for Christmas. It has been part of the Swedish diet for many hundreds of years. Well, at least we’ve eaten it since we got Skåne, or Scania, from the Danes in 1658. “Doctors consider the bread healthy and nourishing”, Svenska Dagbladet notes in May in 1915, calling it “a real delicacy”. Here is that very delicacy in stop motion: Kavring has ...
SWEET SWEDISH RYE BREAD - THE OLD HEN
Sweet Swedish rye bread is one of my very favorite foods on the planet. I am one of the luckiest girls on the planet earth. When I was little, I would watch trays of dark, sweet Swedish rye bread come out of a giant, scary bakery oven – a flaming Ferris wheel, if you will. The aroma would almost knock me over while suffering from pure joy. Although no bread will ever come close to the large ...
SWEDISH RYE BREAD (BREAD MACHINE & BY HAND)
FAMILY RECIPE: SWEDISH RYE BREAD for Bread Machine. Hands-on time: 15 minutes (bread machine) Time to table: 3-1/2 hours Makes a 1-1/2 pound loaf. BREAD MACHINE 1-1/4 cups (275g) warm tap water; 1 tablespoon soft butter; 1/2 tablespoon table salt; 1/4 cup (70g) honey (or sorghum or part molasses) 1/4 cup (50g) brown sugar ; 2 tablespoons anise seed or ground anise or a blend …
SWEDISH RYE BREAD RECIPE: KAVRING | RECIPES JOURNEY
2021-05-10 · This Swedish Rye Bread Recipe has been made in Sweden since the Middle Ages, the exact date isn’t certain but we are talking about a period of time between 1544 and 1658. Of course, the story isn’t just one. According to some writings, it dates back to 1544 known in Sweden initially as Kafring, presumably originally from Norway. Later known by the name of Kavring Danish name based on the ...
SWEDISH RYE BREAD RECIPE | LAND O’LAKES
2016-10-20 · Stir in eggs, butter and molasses. STEP 2. Combine dry mixture from hot roll mix, rye flour, orange peel and fennel seeds in large bowl; add yeast mixture. Stir until soft dough forms. Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface; knead 3-5 minutes or until smooth, adding all-purpose flour, if necessary, to reduce stickiness. STEP 3.
SWEDISH RYE BREAD RECIPE | SWEDISH RYE BREAD RECIPE, RYE ...
Mar 24, 2016 - Bread made the old fashioned way, baked in the oven and NOT the bread machine.
See details »
QUICK SWEDISH RYE BREAD RECIPE | RECIPE | RYE BREAD, RYE ...
Dec 31, 2013 - Design, Decorating and Lifestyle. When autocomplete results are available use up and down arrows to review and enter to select.
See details »
8 EASY SCANDINAVIAN BREAD RECIPES TO BAKE AT HOME | TRUE ...
2021-03-26 · The Nordic countries are home to a rich and varied collection of traditional breads, many of them featuring rye, oats and/or barley in addition to standard wheat flour.From soft Swedish Limpa bread to dark and seedy Danish Rugbrød, there is a Scandinavian bread recipe to suit just about eveyone.. This collection of easy and reliable Scandinavian bread recipes is the perfect entry point for ...
See details »
SWEDISH RYE BREAD RECIPE & SPICES – THE SPICE HOUSE
Dissolve yeast in 1 cup lukewarm water in medium bowl. Add 1 teaspoon sugar and 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour. Set aside. Scald milk in saucepan. Stir in 1 cup water and margarine. Set aside. Combine rye flour, 1 cup all-purpose flour, brown sugar, 1/4 cup sugar, salt, anise seeds, caraway seeds, molasses and corn syrup in lage bowl; mix well.
See details »
SWEDISH LIMPA BREAD RECIPE - THIS WEEK FOR DINNER
2021-06-21 · Swedish limpa bread is a rye bread but before you say “I don’t like pumpernickel” hear me out. (And if you do like pumpernickel, you’ll be especially delighted). While this limpa bread recipes are made with rye flour, limpa has a different, more subtle taste than most rye breads . The texture and flavor are a bit lighter and there is a nice sweetness to the bread. I love limpa with a ...
See details »
OUR BEST RYE BREAD RECIPES | TASTE OF HOME
2019-12-02 · Swedish Rye Bread This recipe came from my mother, and it's long been a family favorite. You can make a meal of it with soup and a salad. Go to Recipe Originally Published: December 02, 2019. Mark Hagen. The former owner of his own catering business, Mark’s been part of the Taste of Home team for the past 20 years. His work has also appeared in Quick Cooking, Light & Tasty and …
See details »
SWEDISH RYE BREAD RECIPE
Swedish rye bread recipe. Learn how to cook great Swedish rye bread . Crecipe.com deliver fine selection of quality Swedish rye bread recipes equipped with ratings, reviews and mixing tips. Get one of our Swedish rye bread recipe and prepare delicious and healthy treat for your family or friends. Good appetite! 86% Swedish Rye Bread I Allrecipes.com This is a sweet, hearty rye, with molasses ...
See details »
time-to-make course cuisine preparation healthy breads scandinavian european swedish dietary low-sodium low-cholesterol oamc-freezer-make-ahead healthy-2 yeast low-in-something number-of-servings 4-hours-or-less