This simple soup highlights the flavor of watercress: clean and slightly bitter but not overwhelming. The potato gives this soup enough extra body to make it a satisfying lunch or light dinner.
Provided by Martha Stewart
Yield Makes 6 cups
Number Of Ingredients 7
- Heat a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add oil and garlic, cook until sizzling and fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in potato and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook 1 minute.
- Add stock and 1 1/2 cups of water and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in watercress. Return to a boil. Reduce to a simmer for 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper. Divide among soup bowls and squeeze a lemon wedge into each bowl. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 101 g, Fat 4 g, Fiber 1 g, Protein 5 g, Sodium 66 g
For more delicious recipes visit www.watercress.co.uk
Provided by mustardcomms
Yield Serves 4
Number Of Ingredients 10
- 1. Heat the oil in a large pan, add the onion and celery and sauté over a medium heat for 5 mins until pale golden. Stir in the potato and stock and bring to the boil. Cover and simmer for 10 mins or until the potato is tender.
- 2. Stir in the watercress, cover and cook for a further 5 mins or until the watercress is wilted. Transfer the soup to a food processor and blitz until smooth. Return the soup to the rinsed out pan add the milk, nutmeg, lemon juice and seasoning to taste. Gently reheat until piping hot and serve with crusty bread.
WATERCRESS POTATO SOUP
- Coarsely chop watercress leaves and stems seperately. Melt butter in heavy large saucepan over medium-low heat. Mix in onion, parsley sprigs, thyme sprigs, garlic, bay leaf, and watercress stems. Cover; cook until onion is tender, stirring occasionally; about 12 minutes. Add broth and potatoes; bring to boil. Reduce heat cover and simmer until potatoes are very tender, about 25 minutes.
- Discard parsley, thyme, and bay leaf. Purée soup in processor until smooth. Return soup to same saucepan. Add 1 cup milk and watercress leaves; bring to simmer, adding more milk if soup is too thick. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to bowl. Chill until cold, about 4 hours.
PURSLANE, WATERCRESS AND POTATO SOUP WITH CRISP LEEKS
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Spread the leeks out in a single layer on the sheet. Bake until the leeks are dried and crisp, about 35 minutes. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and saute until softened, about 8 minutes. Add the potatoes and water, bring to a boil, reduce to a low simmer, partly cover the pan and cook the potatoes until they are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Stir in 1 cup of purslane and the watercress and simmer just until wilted, about 2 to 3 minutes. Pass the mixture through a food mill and place in a clean pan. Stir in the milk, salt and pepper. Heat until warmed through.
- Divide the soup among 4 bowls and top with the crisp leeks and the remaining purslane leaves. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 257, UnsaturatedFat 2 grams, Carbohydrate 48 grams, Fat 5 grams, Fiber 4 grams, Protein 8 grams, SaturatedFat 2 grams, Sodium 1016 milligrams, Sugar 9 grams
CREAM OF POTATO SOUP WITH WATERCRESS
- Melt butter in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add potatoes and onions. Stir until coated with butter, about 1 minute. Sprinkle flour over; stir 1 minute. Add 2 3/4 cups broth and milk. Cover pan. Boil gently until potatoes and onions are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Puree soup in batches in blender. Return to pan. Add 1 3/4 cups watercress. Bring back to simmer. Season with salt and pepper. Thin with more broth, if desired.
- Lade soup into bowls. Garnish with remaining 1/2 cup watercress.
POTATO WATERCRESS SOUP
This one's been in my recipe file for years. You can use any type of potato but Yukons are one of my favorites. Recipe source unknown. Easy!
Provided by COOKGIRl
Yield 4 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add potatoes, watercress and onion to the pot.
- Cook, stirring about 5 minutes until onion is tender. Stir in the broth, half and half cream, pepper and celery seed.
- Cover and cook over low heat, 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Using an immersion blender, blend soup until pureed to desired consistency. Adjust seasonings if necessary.
- Serve garnished with watercress sprigs.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 209.3, Fat 13.3, SaturatedFat 8.1, Cholesterol 37.6, Sodium 315, Carbohydrate 18.4, Fiber 1.6, Sugar 1.7, Protein 5
POTATO AND WATERCRESS SOUP
- Bring chicken stock to the boil in a saucepan.
- Peel and chop potatoes, and boil till soft in the chicken stock.
- Put potatoes and watercress into blender and blend, adding liquid chicken stock until the soup is at desired consistency.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, and enjoy!
Nutrition Facts : Calories 292.1, Fat 3.1, SaturatedFat 0.8, Cholesterol 7.2, Sodium 361.7, Carbohydrate 55.1, Fiber 5.9, Sugar 5.9, Protein 11.6
POTATO-WATERCRESS SOUP WITH PESTO
- To make the soup, cook potatoes in boiling water until tender, about 30 minutes. When cool enough to handle, slip off the skins and pass through a ricer. Set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add 8 cups of the watercress and blanch for 5 seconds. Immediately drain and refresh under cold running water. Drain and squeeze out excess water. Place in a blender with the yogurt and blend until smooth. Scrape into a bowl and whisk in the milk, mustard, 2 teaspoons salt and pepper to taste. Coarsely chop the remaining 2 cups watercress and stir into the soup. Refrigerate until chilled.
- Meanwhile, to make the pesto, blanch the watercress as above. Drain, squeeze out excess water and coarsely chop with a knife. Place in a blender with the walnuts, garlic, olive oil and salt. Blend until smooth, stopping as necessary to scrape down the sides of the jar.
- Taste soup and add more salt if needed. Ladle the soup among 4 bowls. Place 2 teaspoons of the pesto in the center of each bowl and sprinkle the mustard seeds around it. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 300, UnsaturatedFat 12 grams, Carbohydrate 28 grams, Fat 16 grams, Fiber 3 grams, Protein 13 grams, SaturatedFat 3 grams, Sodium 976 milligrams, Sugar 13 grams, TransFat 0 grams
CORN, WATERCRESS & POTATO SOUP
A vibrant vegan soup that's versatile enough for occasions such as a casual lunch outdoors, cold gazpacho shots at a cocktail party, or as a healthy dinner with a hunk of good bread.
Provided by Greg Lofts
Number Of Ingredients 11
- Thoroughly rinse and drain dark-green leek tops; transfer to a pot. Remove husks and silks from corn, rinse and drain them, and transfer to pot. Strip corn from cobs and transfer cobs to pot (reserving kernels). Add 8 cups water, 2 teaspoons salt, and whole peppercorns to pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 5 minutes. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve, discarding solids and reserving broth (you should have about 6 cups).
- Slice white and light-green parts of leeks; submerge in water and agitate with your hands to dislodge any dirt, then thoroughly drain. Wipe pot clean; add oil and heat over medium. Add sliced leeks and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until leeks are very soft but not developing any color (if color begins to develop, reduce heat), about 10 minutes. Add potato, 4 cups reserved broth, and reserved corn kernels to pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until potato is easily pierced with the tip of a knife, about 15 minutes. Stir in all but a handful of watercress; simmer 2 minutes.
- Transfer soup to a blender with miso and vinegar; purée until smooth. (Be careful blending the hot liquid: Remove feed cap from blender lid and cover with a kitchen towel to let steam escape, and purée in two batches if necessary.) Season to taste and thin with more broth, if necessary, to reach desired consistency. Serve warm or chilled, topped with blanched corn kernels, remaining watercress, a drizzle of oil, flaky salt, and ground pepper.
More about "watercress potato soup recipes"
WATERCRESS AND POTATO SOUP | RECIPES | DELIA ONLINE
WATERCRESS SOUP RECIPE | BON APPéTIT
WATERCRESS SOUP | JAMIE MAGAZINE RECIPES
WATERCRESS SOUP - DAVID LEBOVITZ
WATERCRESS SOUP | FOOD FROM PORTUGAL
WATERCRESS SOUP, POTATO RöSTI, POACHED EGG AND BLACK PUDDING …
POTATO-WATERCRESS SOUP RECIPE | MYRECIPES
Servings 7Calories 120 per serving
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic, and sauté 4 minutes or until onion is tender. Stir in potatoes, broth, water, salt, and pepper, and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Place potato mixture in a blender, and process until smooth. Add yogurt, and process just until blended. Stir in watercress and cheese; stir until cheese melts.
WATERCRESS AND POTATO SOUP RECIPE - BBC FOOD
Servings 1Category Light Meals & Snacks
POTATO WATERCRESS SOUP RECIPE
WATERCRESS SOUP - VEGETABLE SOUP RECIPES
POTATO AND WATERCRESS SOUP WITH SMOKED HERRING RECIPE
WATERCRESS SOUP - WAITROSE
WATERCRESS, LEEK AND POTATO SOUP RECIPE - FOOD NEWS
JERSEY ROYAL MASTERCLASS - JAMES MARTIN CHEF
WATERCRESS, ONION AND POTATO SOUP | CRANBLE
WATERCRESS AND POTATO SOUP WITH CRèME FRAîCHE - KITCHEN CULINAIRE
WATERCRESS SOUP (SOUPE DE CRESSON) - PARDON YOUR FRENCH
POTATO AND WATERCRESS SOUP RECIPE | EAT SMARTER USA
WATERCRESS SOUP WITH POTATOES AND PEAS - HEALTHY NIBBLES
WATERCRESS SOUP - GREEDY GOURMET
THE PERFECT PICK ME UP WATERCRESS AND ROCKET SOUP
EASY WATERCRESS SOUP RECIPE
CREAMY LEEK POTATO SOUP WITH WATERCRESS RECIPE …
WATERCRESS SOUP IS A GREAT CLASSIC WHEN IT COMES TO FRENCH SOUPS
WATERCRESS AND POTATO SOUP | THE VEGAN SOCIETY
CHILLED IDAHO® POTATO & WATERCRESS SOUP
WATERCRESS SOUP WITH POTATO CRISP AND SOFT BOILED EGG - JAMES …
LEEK AND POTATO SOUP WITH WATERCRESS - VEGKITCHEN.COM
WATERCRESS, LEEK AND POTATO SOUP RECIPE | GOOD FOOD
WATERCRESS SOUP OR POTAGE AU CRESSON RECIPE - HELENA RECIPES
WATERCRESS SOUP RECIPES | BBC GOOD FOOD
WATERCRESS POTATO CREAM SOUP – DIARY OF A MAD HAUSFRAU
WATERCRESS SOUP - LIGHT REFRESHING AND EASY TO MAKE BROTHY SOUP
WATERCRESS SOUP | RECIPE | NATALIE PENNY
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How do you cook potatoes with watercress?Heat the olive oil and the butter in a large saucepan, add the onion, cover and sweat for 3 - 4 minutes. 2. Add the potatoes and continue to sauté for a further 2 - 3 minutes. 3. Add the remaining ingredients, except the watercress, and bring to the boil, reduce to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes, or until the potatoes are cooked. 4.
How to cook soup with watercress in it?Directions. Add stock and 1 1/2 cups of water and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in watercress. Return to a boil. Reduce to a simmer for 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper. Divide among soup bowls and squeeze a lemon wedge into each bowl. Serve immediately.
How do I make a potato soup?Peel and roughly chop the potatoes, onions and garlic. In a large saucepan, heat a little olive oil, then sauté the potato, onion and garlic until the onions are translucent. Add the stock and simmer until the potato is soft. Chop and add the watercress and simmer for a further 3 to 4 minutes. Using a hand blender, liquidise the soup until smooth.
How do you cook with watercress and onions?Start off by melting the butter in a large saucepan, then add the onion and let it cook gently for 5 minutes (don’t let it brown) before adding 4oz (110g) of the watercress to the pan. Give it a good stir then cover the pan and let the vegetables sweat gently for 15 minutes.