NIKKI'S PERFECT PASTITSIO
My mother used to work so hard in the kitchen to make this classic Greek dish, and the results were always well worth her effort. My recipe for pastitsio is easier, a bit lighter and every bit as great as Mom's.-Nikki Tsangaris, Westfield, Indiana
Recipe From tasteofhome.com
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 12 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 17
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Toss with butter; add grated Parmesan cheese. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish., Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat 8-10 minutes or until beef is no longer pink, breaking beef into crumbles; drain. Add garlic; cook 2 minutes longer. Stir in tomato sauce, salt and cinnamon; heat through. Spoon over pasta. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese., In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened., In a small bowl, whisk a small amount of hot mixture into eggs; return all to pan, whisking constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes. Pour over beef mixture. Sprinkle with remaining cheese., Bake, covered, 20 minutes. Bake, uncovered, 30-40 minutes longer or until golden brown.,
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cook pasta, and drain; reserve. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, over medium heat, cook lamb, breaking apart pieces with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink, 6 to 8 minutes. Add onions; cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a colander; drain fat, and discard. Return lamb to pan; add wine. Cook over medium heat until almost all liquid has evaporated, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste, cinnamon, and 2 cups water; simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 15 to 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Make Parmesan cheese sauce while mixture is simmering: In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat; whisk in flour until incorporated, about 30 seconds. In a slow steady stream, whisk in milk until there are no lumps.
- Cook, whisking often, until mixture is thick and bubbly and coats the back of a wooden spoon, 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in cayenne, if desired, and Parmesan.
- Add pasta to lamb mixture; transfer to a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Pour sauce over the top, smoothing with the back of a spoon until level. Bake until browned in spots, 35 to 40 minutes. Remove from oven; let cool 15 minutes before serving.
Recipe From foodnetwork.com
Provided by Food Network
Yield 20 servings
Number Of Ingredients 13
- In a hot pan melt 4 ounces of butter, add ground chuck, chopped onion, salt, and pepper. Add tomatoes and tomato sauce, bay leaf, and cinnamon and cook over medium flame for about 35 minutes.
- Cook macaroni in boiling water, strain and put back in pot to keep warm.
- Place a 1/4 of the grated cheese in a 11 by 14-inch pan, and then a layer with 1/3 of the pasta. Continue until both ingredients are used up. Spread on the meat sauce.
- Mix the final layer, the Pastitsio Crema by mixing 4 ounces of melted, cooled butter and 3/4 cup of flour. Heat 3 1/2 cups of milk and pour a little over flour and butter mixture then pour the rest of the mixture into the milk. Add 5 beaten eggs and stir thoroughly over medium flame until mixture thickens. Pour the crema on top of the meat sauce and bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 1 hour or until brown. Cool for 1 hour before cutting.
Recipe From foodnetwork.com
Provided by Ina Garten
Yield 8 servings
Number Of Ingredients 22
- For the sauce, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat in a large pot. Add the onion and saute for 5 minutes. Add the beef and lamb, and saute over medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes, until it's no longer pink, crumbling it with the back of wooden spoon. Drain off any excess liquid, add the wine, and cook for 2 more minutes. Add the garlic, cinnamon, oregano, thyme, and cayenne, and continue cooking over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 40 to 45 minutes. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- For the bechamel, heat the milk and cream together in a small saucepan over medium-low heat until simmering. In a medium saucepan, melt the butter. Add the flour and cook over medium heat, whisking constantly for 2 minutes. Pour the warm milk and cream mixture into the butter and flour mixture, whisking constantly. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, over medium heat for 5 to 7 minutes, until smooth and thick. Add the nutmeg, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon of pepper. Stir in 3/4 cup of Parmesan cheese, 1/2 cup of the tomato and meat sauce, and allow to cool for 10 minutes. Stir in the eggs and yogurt and set aside.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling water until al dente. Don't over-cook because the pasta will later be baked. Drain and set aside.
- Add the pasta to the meat and tomato sauce, and pour the mixture into a baking dish. Spread the bechamel evenly to cover the pasta and sprinkle with the remaining 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Bake for 1 hour, until golden brown and bubbly. Set aside for 10 minutes and serve hot.
Pastitsio is a layered Greek casserole of macaroni and seasoned ground lamb, topped with a thick cream sauce. This version substitutes beef in place of the lamb to suit American tastes.
Recipe From allrecipes.com
Provided by Ben S.
Number Of Ingredients 21
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in onion and cook until it begins to soften, about 3 minutes. Stir in the ground beef, and cook until crumbly and no longer pink. Pour in the water and tomato paste. Season with salt, pepper, allspice, nutmeg, and cinnamon; cover, and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat, adjust salt to taste, then refrigerate until cold. Once cold, remove any congealed fat, and thoroughly mix with 2 beaten eggs, and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add macaroni and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain, and rinse under cold water to cool. Mix the macaroni in 2 beaten eggs until well coated.
- Evenly spread half of the macaroni mixture into a 11x14x2 inch baking pan, sprinkle with 1/2 cup of the grated parmesan cheese, and drizzle with 1/2 cup of melted butter. Spread the meat mixture overtop, then finish with the remaining macaroni. Sprinkle the macaroni with another 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese, and drizzle with 1/2 cup of melted butter.
- Whisk together 4 beaten eggs with the half-and-half, 1 cup of Parmesan cheese, flour, and salt; whisk until well blended. Pour the cream mixture evenly over top of the pastitsio, and sprinkle with nutmeg.
- Cover the pan with foil, and bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes. Remove the foil, and bake until the top has turned golden brown, about 30 minutes. Remove from oven, and allow to stand for 15 minutes before serving.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add ziti and cook until tender yet firm to the bite, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Melt butter until golden brown and pour over ziti, add Parmesan cheese, nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Toss well. Cool briefly. Add eggs and toss again; set aside.
- To make meat sauce: Gently fry onion and garlic in butter in a skillet until onion is soft, 3 to 5 minutes. Increase heat and add ground beef; stir well. Cook until meat begins to brown, about 5 minutes. Add tomato paste, wine, broth, parsley, salt, and pepper. Cover and simmer over low heat for 20 minutes.
- To make cream sauce: Melt butter in saucepan, stir in flour and cook gently for 2 minutes. Pour in milk all at once and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil gently for 1 minute. Add nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Cool slightly before stirring in beaten egg. Transfer 1/2 cup of this sauce to the meat sauce.
- To assemble pastitsio: Grease a 9x13-inch baking dish. Spoon half of the prepared ziti evenly in the bottom and top with meat sauce. Top with remaining ziti. Pour on cream sauce and spread to completely cover ziti. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 50 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting into squares.
More recipes about "pastitsio"
YIAYIA’S PASTITSIO RECIPE
2018-05-25 · What I love about Yiayia’s Greek Pastitsio Recipe is the delicious combination of flavors — the hints of cinnamon in the meat sauce, the sturdy bucatini …
- NOTE: You will need either TWO 9 x 12 dishes or one DEEP 10 x 13 dish to properly fit the mixture and prevent the bechamel from overspilling.
GREEK PASTITSIO - AKIS' BAKED PASTA RECIPE | AKIS PETRETZIKIS
2014-04-03 · Place a pan over high heat. Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil, the finely chopped onions, 1 tablespoon granulated sugar and finely chopped thyme. Sauté for 3-4 minutes, until the onions caramelize nicely. Add the garlic and continue to sauté.
- Place a pan over high heat. Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil, the finely chopped onions, 1 tablespoon granulated sugar and finely chopped thyme. Sauté for 3-4 minutes, until the onions caramelize nicely. Add the garlic and continue to sauté. Add the tomato paste and sauté for at least 2 minutes. It is important to sauté the tomato paste to give it a more intense flavor. Add the ground meat. Break it up with a wooden spoon and brown for 4-5 minutes. At this point you may need to add another 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the wine and let the alcohol evaporate. Add the canned tomatoes, cinnamon, sugar, bouillon cubes and bay leaves. Turn the heat down to low and simmer for 10-20 minutes, until the sauce reduces and the ground meat is cooked. When ready, remove from heat. Discard the bay leaves and set aside until needed.
PASTITSIO | BROWN EYED BAKER
2015-10-22 · A classic pastitsio recipe – layers of ziti pasta with a beef and lamb sauce, bechamel and loads of cheese! Since we started hosting Sunday dinners at our …
- Make the Meat Sauce: In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium-low heat. Add the onions and cook until softened and slightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add the beef and lamb, increase the heat to medium-high and cook, breaking up the meat, until it is thoroughly browned. Stir in the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, parsley, salt, pepper, sugar, cinnamon stick and bay leaves and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered, until most of the liquid has been absorbed and the mixture is a thick meat reduction, about 1 hour, then remove from the heat and discard the cinnamon stick and bay leaves.
- Make the Pasta: While the sauce is simmering, bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook the ziti to al dente. Drain the pasta, return it to the pot and immediately toss with the melted butter; set aside to cool slightly.
- Make the White Sauce: In a large saute pan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the flour and whisk until slightly browned, about 1 minute. Gradually add the milk, whisking constantly. Continue cooking and whisking until the sauce is thickened, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and whisk in the salt, pepper and nutmeg and set aside to cool slightly.
PASTITSIO (GREEK LASAGNA) - RECIPE GIRL
2016-03-18 · PREPARE THE MEAT LAYER: Melt 4 tablespoons butter in a large skillet. Add the onions and saute until softened and golden. Crumble the beef into the skillet and cook with the onions …
PASTITSIO RECIPE - GREEK LASAGNA | THE MEDITERRANEAN DISH
2021-03-08 · The hearty meat sauce for this pastitsio recipe is made of lean ground beef that's cooked in a tomato and red wine sauce with onions, garlic, bay leaves and …
GREEK PASTITSIO RECIPE (GREEK LASAGNA WITH BéCHAMEL) - MY ...
2013-05-13 · To prepare this traditional pastitsio recipe (pastichio), start with the meat sauce. Place a large pan over medium-high heat and add the olive oil, the chopped …
GREEK PASTITSIO BAKE - DINNER, THEN DESSERT
2018-07-19 · Add in the milk slowly while whisking until fully combined then cook on low heat for 10-12 minutes or until thickened. Let cool for 10 minutes, then add in the salt, pepper, eggs, and parmesan …
- Add the beef and lamb to the pan on medium high heat and cook until browned, another 5-7 minutes, breaking it apart as it is cooking.
- Drain the oil and add the olive oil to the pan on medium heat with the onions and bell peppers and cook for 5-7 minutes.
- Add in the garlic, tomato sauce, tomato paste, salt, pepper, cinnamon and bay leaf and cook on medium-low for 20 minutes, until thickened (halfway between pasta sauce and tomato paste).
- While the tomato sauce is simmering, in a separate dutch oven add the butter and flour on medium heat and whisk well until melted and combined, 1-2 minutes.
PASTITSIO - TRADITIONAL AND AUTHENTIC GREEK RECIPE | 196 ...
2021-03-05 · A traditional pastitsio, according to Tselementes, should contain ground beef, onions, bucatini pasta, béchamel sauce, tomatoes, spices, and kefalotiri cheese. Before him, pastitsio …
- In a Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat, and brown the meat, spreading it evenly with a spoon.
PASTITSIO RECIPE (GREEK PASTA BAKE) - THE HUNGRY BITES
2019-01-29 · Pastitsio Recipe (Greek Pasta Bake) Prep Time. 1 hr 40 mins. Cook Time. 50 mins. Total Time. 2 hrs 30 mins . The Pastitsio (or Pastichio) is a famous Greek pasta bake with a spiced meat sauce and a silky béchamel. It’s ideal as a delicious Sunday dinner and it also freezes very well. Course: Dinner, Main Course Cuisine: Greek, Mediterranean Keyword: Bake, casserole, pasta, Pastitsio ...
- Make the meat sauce: Heat a deep pan over high heat and add the oil and the minced beef. Let it brown, without stirring, and when the meat is no longer red, stir with a wooden spatula and break any meat lumps. Cook until all the juices have evaporated, reduce heat to medium/high and add the onion the carrot, the bay leaves, the cinnamon stick, the allspice and the cloves. Stir for 5 minutes and add the wine. Wait for 1 minute for the alcohol to evaporate and add the tomato paste, the pureed tomatoes, the sugar, the salt and the pepper. When it starts to boil again, reduce heat to low and simmer until almost all of the liquids have evaporated (about 30 minutes). Remove and discard the bay leaves and the cinnamon stick.
- In the meantime, make the pasta: Cook the pasta in a pot with salted water, until al dente, according to the packaging directions.
- Drain the pasta well, mix in the grated cheese and transfer about two-thirds of the pasta to the casserole dish. Level with a spoon and cover with the meat sauce. Level the meat sauce with the back of a spoon and spread the rest of the pasta uniformly over the meat.
AUTHENTIC PASTITSIO GREEK LASAGNA RECIPE
2019-04-28 · In a separate bowl, beat 3 eggs and 1/2 cup milk with a hand mixer. Add this mixture to the pot, slowly, whisking the whole time. Put back on medium-high heat and cook and whisk until thick …
- Make the meat sauce one day ahead. In a large pot, add a little olive oil and heat over medium heat. Add the chopped onions and sprinkle with a generous pinch of salt, cook until onions are just translucent. Add the ground beef and cook and stir until no longer pink, breaking it up with a wooden spoon as it cooks. Add the 2 cans of tomato sauce and cinnamon, stir and bring to a simmer. Season with salt to taste. Let meat sauce stew for 3 hours, yes, for 3 hours with a lid on, slightly askew. Stir occasionally. Let cool and then refrigerate overnight.
- Bring sauce to room temperature or warm gently before layering the pastitsio. Grate the kasseri cheese and set aside, you want at least 4 cups.
- Cook noodles in boiling salted water until al dente (I cook a minute or two less than package directions). Drain noodles and when cool enough to handle, put them in a large bowl and mix one beaten egg into the pastitsio noodles with your hands.
- Preheat oven to 350º. In a lasagna pan, or other large pan, drizzle a little olive oil in the bottom or coat lightly with cooking spray. Put all of the noodles which were tossed with egg in the bottom of the pan and arrange evenly. Sprinkle with a third of the shredded cheese. Using a slotted spoon, cover the noodles and cheese evenly with all or most of the meat mixture, leaving room for the béchamel layer on top. Sprinkle another third of the cheese over the meat layer. You now have noodles, cheese, meat, cheese layered so far.
MY MOM'S TRIED AND TRUE RECIPE FOR RICH GREEK PASTITSIO ...
2020-11-19 · Pastitsio has layers of pasta, minced beef, and a creamy béchamel sauce which are baked together to create a rich, velvety dish. This is my mom’s tried and true recipe for rich, authentic Greek Pastisio. Make sure to watch the video below as well! Authentic Greek Pastitsio …
PASTITSIO (GREEK BEEF PASTA BAKE) | RECIPETIN EATS
2021-02-17 · Pasta for Pastitsio – the traditional pasta is a thick tubular pasta called “Pastitsio No 2 pasta”, sometimes also referred to as Greek bucatini. It is thicker than Italian bucatini (tubular pasta). See in post for close-up photos. Find it at European/Greek delis. Substitute with small penne or ziti, or normal Italian bucatini for a similar look. Otherwise, any pasta is fine!
AUTHENTIC PASTITSIO - OUR BEST GREEK LASAGNA RECIPE
2020-07-05 · Add the tomatoes, herbs, spices and salt and pepper and stir well. Simmer until aromatic and thickened. Turn off the heat. Boil the pasta in saltwater until just cooked and drain. Beat the two egg whites and add to the pasta along with the cheese and stir. For the Bechamel, melt the butter in another pot or saucepan.
PASTITSIO, ONE OF THE MOST FAMOUS GREEK RECIPES AND A ...
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter a 13"x9" baking dish and set it aside. In a large skillet, brown the meat and onions, stirring often to break up the meat. Add tomato paste, 1/3 cup water, wine or beef broth, 1 teaspoon salt, pepper and cinnamon.
PASTITSIO RECIPE - GREEK.FOOD.COM
2006-10-08 · For the meat sauce in a large pot, sauté the onion, garlic, and parsley in the oil until the onions turn translucent. Then add tomato paste (optional) and …
PASTITSIO (Παστίτσιο) | MIA KOUPPA: TAKING THE GUESSWORK ...
2017-01-26 · The first recipe listed below was made for an 11 x 16 inch baking pan, but pastitsio is actually very versatile and very forgiving. If you have a smaller pan, don’t worry. You can easily half the recipe for a pan half the size ( for your convenience, we included a 2nd recipe box below, halving the recipe, to be used for a 9 x 13 inch pan). Otherwise, keep the quantities as they are for the ...
See details ››
PASTITSIO PIE | CANADIAN LIVING
2005-07-14 · Sauce: In saucepan, melt butter over medium heat; stir in flour and cook, whisking for 2 minutes, without browning. Gradually whisk in milk and cook, whisking, for about 5 minutes or until thickened; remove from heat. Stir in cottage cheese, egg, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Grease 10 inch (25 cm) deep pie plate with remaining butter; sprinkle with ...
See details ››
AUTHENTIC PASTITSIO RECIPE - MASHED.COM
1 day ago · To make this authentic pastitsio recipe, you'll first need to make the meat sauce. To an aromatic base of garlic and onion cooked in olive oil, you'll add ground beef, canned tomatoes and tomato paste, salt, pepper, bay, and some sweet baking spices: cinnamon and cloves.For the béchamel, a butter and flour combo thickens whole milk, which is then seasoned with grated Parmesan cheese …
See details ››
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST PASTITSIO | COOK'S ILLUSTRATED
2019-10-01 · Senior editor Andrew Janjigian prepares for a five recipe test of a pastitsio, a Greek baked pasta dish. Parcooking the pasta to just shy of al dente before assembling and baking was key. Cooked any less, the pasta tasted raw, while fully soft pasta collapsed and ruined the “stacked pipes” visual and pleasing texture. Distinct layers of noodles, meat sauce, and bechamel—a hallmark ...
See details ››
PASTITSIO, MY DAD'S AMAZING - GREEK LASAGNA | CHRISTINE ...
My dad Tony's Pastitsio recipe is the most prized in our family. I share with you his step by step method from how to get the most flavour out of the meat s...
See details ››
THIS BAKED PASTA DISH IS THE GREEK VERSION OF LASAGNA ...
2021-06-23 · Pastitsio is super easy to make (even for an amateur chef like me), takes only an hour total in the kitchen, and is perfect for a dinner party or as a dish that'll give you plenty of leftovers. And it's a low-lift endeavor compared with most lasagna recipes. Plus, eating pastitsio just feels like a hug. It's creamy and savory without being too ...
See details ››
GREEK PASTITSIO RECIPE - AUTHENTIC LASAGNA | THE WHOOT
How To Make Greek Pastitsio Recipe. via Christine Cushing, Youtube. In a large skillet, heat ½ the olive oil on medium-high heat. Add the beef and cook for 20-22 minutes or until meat is well browned. Make a well in the center of the meat and add the onion and sweat until soft, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add the garlic and stir to blend. Deglaze the pan with the red wine and add the herbs, spices ...
See details ››