PLUM ALMOND TART
This beautiful plum tart, adapted from the pastry chef Alex Levin of Osteria Morini in Washington, brings together a sablé butter crust flavored with vanilla bean; colorful, juicy plum slices; and an almond cream filling with a lovely flavor that complements the fruit. Using confectioners' sugar in the crust gives you a texture that is finer and smoother than if you use granulated sugar. And the sugar in the crust and filling removes the need to sweeten the plums (which in turn means the fruit juices won't leach into the dough) - though you'll want to sprinkle a little turbinado sugar over the top for added crunch.
Provided by Joan Nathan
Categories pies and tarts, dessert
Yield 8 to 10 servings
Number Of Ingredients 14
- Make the crust: Combine butter or oil, confectioners' sugar, salt and vanilla bean seeds in a stand mixer on low speed for 1 minute. Increase speed to medium and beat for 1 minute more. Scrape down sides of bowl, add the egg and then the flour, and continue mixing until smooth. Remove dough from the bowl, wrap in plastic and refrigerate, about 1 hour, or until firm.
- Make the almond filling: Grind together the blanched almonds and flour in a food processor until they form a textured almond flour.
- Combine butter or oil, confectioners' sugar and salt in a stand mixer on low speed for 1 minute. Increase speed to medium and beat for 1 minute more. Scrape down sides of bowl, add egg and egg yolk, and continue mixing until mixture comes together and is homogeneous, about 2 minutes. Add almond mixture all at once, and mix until batter just comes together. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside.
- Remove dough from refrigerator and set aside for 10 minutes. Knead dough to loosen it, then pat together into a ball again. On a well-floured surface, roll out the dough into a 12- to 13-inch round using a floured rolling pin. Quickly transfer dough to an 11-inch pie plate or tart shell, trimming the edges as needed. Place the lined shell in the freezer until frozen.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Remove shell from the freezer, line with parchment paper, and fill with pie weights or dried beans. Bake crust for 12 to 15 minutes, or until the edges are just starting to color. Remove the weights and bake 5 minutes longer. Cool completely.
- While the crust cools, cut plums into 1/4-inch wedges.
- Using an offset spatula, spread cooled tart shell with the almond cream. Starting at the outside of the pan, arrange plums in a circle on top so all the pieces overlap. Turn plums the opposite way for the second circle. Fill the center with the remaining plums or another fruit if you wish.
- Sprinkle a few pinches of turbinado sugar over plums and bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until almond cream is puffed and golden brown and the plums are softened.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 441, UnsaturatedFat 12 grams, Carbohydrate 47 grams, Fat 26 grams, Fiber 3 grams, Protein 7 grams, SaturatedFat 13 grams, Sodium 79 milligrams, Sugar 28 grams, TransFat 1 gram
PLUM TART WITH ALMOND PASTRY CRUST
- For the filling: Fill a large stockpot halfway with water and bring to a boil. While water is boiling, take a paring knife and cut a 1/2-inch X on the bottom of each plum. Set aside. Fill a large bowl with ice and water and set aside. When water is boiling, gently drop plums into water for 30 to 45 seconds. Remove with a slotted spoon and immediately submerge in ice water for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove and dry plums gently with a paper towel. Over a medium-sized bowl, remove skins from plums - they should slip off fairly easily. Slice plums in half and remove pits. Toss with sugar, cinnamon, and lemon juice and set aside.
- For the crust: Preheat oven to 375 degree F.
- Grind the almonds in a food processor until they are a fine crumb. Add the pastry flour, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and sugar to the almond in the processor and pulse 5 times to incorporate. Add butter and oil and pulse for about 20 seconds, until mixture forms small clumps. Add the egg white and pulse an additional 20 to 30 times, until mixture forms a ball, being sure not to over-process. Dough will hold together, but be slightly sticky. Evenly press dough into the bottom and sides a 9-inch tart pan with a detachable bottom. Bake for 8 to10 minutes, or until surface of tart is no longer shiny. Remove from oven and let cool. Place tart shell on a cookie sheet. Toss plum halves in their own juices in bowl. Arrange plums, cut-side down, in the tart shell, crowding as many plums as you can into tart. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until fruit is slightly tender but still firm. Remove from the oven and let cool.
- For the glaze: Heat preserves over a low flame or in microwave until melted. Combine with water and brush surface of tart.
- Make crust:
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Combine first 3 ingredients in processor. Using on/off turns, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal. Mix 2 tablespoons ice water and vanilla in small bowl. Pour water mixture over dough. Process until moist clumps form. Gather dough into ball; flatten into disk. Roll out on floured surface to 12-inch round. Transfer to 9-inch-diameter tart pan with removable bottom. Trim overhang to 1/2 inch. Fold overhang in and press, forming double-thick sides. Using fork, pierce dough all over. Freeze 15 minutes.
- Bake crust until pale golden, about 30 minutes (crust may shrink slightly). Cool on rack. Maintain oven temperature.
- Make filling:
- Finely grind almonds with sugar in processor. Add egg, butter and 2 teaspoons framboise. Process until batter forms. Pour filling into crust. Arrange plums atop filling. Bake until plums are tender and filling is golden and set, about 50 minutes.
- Melt jelly with remaining 2 teaspoons framboise in heavy small saucepan over medium-low heat. Brush jelly mixture over plums. Cool tart. Serve at room temperature with whipped cream, if desired.
CLASSIC PLUM AND ALMOND TART
- Gather the ingredients.
- Lightly grease a 9-inch loose bottomed tart tin.
- Roll out the pastry to an even thickness and line the tart tin. Cut away any excess, crimp the edges for decoration if you wish, then pop the lined tin into the fridge while you make the filling.
- In a large baking bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. To do this, you can use either a fork, whisk, or electric hand whisk.
- Beat the eggs in a separate bowl and add the vanilla extract.
- Then carefully, a little at a time, add the beaten egg to the creamed butter and sugar whisking continuously.
- Sift the flour into the ground almonds.
- Then, using a spatula or tablespoon, carefully fold the ground almonds and flour into the creamed mixture until thoroughly incorporated.
- Heat the oven to 350 F/175 C/Gas 4.
- Take the pastry case from the fridge and gently spoon the creamed almonds into the case and spread to fill-be careful not to be too heavy-handed and flatten out all the air from the mixture.
- Halve the plums, remove the stone, then cut each plum into thick slices (about 6 to 8 per plum).
- Slightly overlapping each slice, arrange in circles on top of the mixture, gently pushing each slice into the almond cream.
- Place the filled tart into the centre of the preheated oven. Bake for between 45 and 50 minutes until the pastry and filling is cooked and golden, and the plums softened and released their juices into the cake.
- Leave the tart to cool in the tin for 15 minutes, then carefully remove and put onto a plate or cake stand.
- Serve cold with a nice cup of tea or coffee, warm with, as mentioned before, a little custard or cream.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 622 kcal, Carbohydrate 73 g, Cholesterol 73 mg, Fiber 9 g, Protein 12 g, SaturatedFat 11 g, Sodium 308 mg, Sugar 33 g, Fat 34 g, ServingSize Serves 8, UnsaturatedFat 0 g
PLUM AND ALMOND TART
- Sift flour into bowl, cut in butter, add egg yolk and enough water to mix to a dry dough.
- Turn onto lightly floured surface, knead lightly until smooth, cover, refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Roll pastry large enough to line a 9-inch flan pan, refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile halve and seed plums, drain on absorbent paper.
- Combine almonds, sugar, lemon rind and egg in bowl, mix to a paste.
- Combine extra sugar and cinnamon thoroughly.
- Spread almond mixture into pastry case, top with plums, dot with butter, sprinkle with sugar mixture.
- Bake in 375°F oven about 50 minutes or until golden brown.
- Dust with powdered sugar, serve warm or cold with shipped cream and sliced almonds.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 386.6, Fat 22.1, SaturatedFat 8.4, Cholesterol 74.5, Sodium 170.3, Carbohydrate 43.8, Fiber 4.3, Sugar 26.6, Protein 7.3
ALMOND PLUM TARTS
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Using a food processor, chop almonds until finely ground; do not allow to become a paste. Transfer to a bowl and set aside. Cut a small cross into stem end of each plum, and remove pit; set plums aside.
- In bowl of food processor, combine butter and sugar. Process until smooth. Add eggs, vanilla, flour and ground almonds. Process until just combined.
- Divide almond mixture among four 1-cup pudding or souffle dishes. Press a plum, cut side up, into center of batter; a portion of the plum will remain above the batter.
- Bake until filling is puffed and golden, 15 to 20 minutes. Garnish tarts with a dollop of whipped cream. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 493, UnsaturatedFat 16 grams, Carbohydrate 40 grams, Fat 35 grams, Fiber 3 grams, Protein 9 grams, SaturatedFat 16 grams, Sodium 40 milligrams, Sugar 28 grams, TransFat 1 gram
ALMOND AND PLUM TART
A very light cake perfect to have with a cup of freshly brewed coffee! This recipe is based on a recipe that my dear Mother passed on to me - the only difference between the 2 recipes is the addition of almond essence and slithered almonds.
Provided by Karin...
Yield 1 tart, 8 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Add eggs - one at a time and beat well.
- Add the warm water and almond essence.
- Add sifted flour and baking powder.
- Stir well to make a mixture that will spread evenly in 20cm diameter tin.
- Sprinke with slithered almonds.
- Arrange sliced plums on top.
- Sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake in the oven for approx 20 minutes at 160'C.
ALMOND PLUM TART
A buttery almond crust holds a cream cheese and almond paste filling swirled with puréed canned plums in this elegant dessert.
Provided by My Food and Family
Yield 12 servings
Number Of Ingredients 11
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Combine flour and 1/4 cup sugar in medium bowl. Cut in butter with pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in nuts. Add water; stir until mixture forms dough that pulls away from side of bowl. Shape into ball; press onto bottom and up side of 9-1/2-inch tart pan with removable bottom. Bake 10 min.
- Process cream cheese, almond paste, egg, vanilla and 2 Tbsp. of the remaining sugar in food processor until blended. Pour into crust.
- Drain plums, reserving syrup. Remove and discard pits from plums. Process plums and 1 Tbsp. of the remaining sugar in food processor until smooth. Spoon over cream cheese mixture; swirl gently with knife.
- Bake 25 min. Cool completely. Refrigerate several hours or until chilled.
- Combine cornstarch and remaining sugar in small saucepan. Gradually stir in reserved plum syrup until blended. Bring to boil on medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook 3 min. or until clear and thickened, stirring constantly.
- Remove tart from side of pan. Serve topped with plum sauce.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 290, Fat 17 g, SaturatedFat 8 g, TransFat 0 g, Cholesterol 55 mg, Sodium 125 mg, Carbohydrate 0 g, Fiber 2 g, Sugar 0 g, Protein 5 g
THE BEST PLUM AND ALMOND TART
We live in southern Turkey, where we get a plum glut every autumn. We also have a plentiful supply of almonds from the surrounding orchards. If you love Bakewell tart and you love plums, this is an absolute winner - it's like a very light, fruity version of the classic tart. I've yet to find someone who doesn't love it. Outside the plum season, you could make it with any fruit in season, or you could soak prunes or dried apricots in brandy or sherry overnight, before proceeding as below.
Provided by jaynepearson
Yield Serves 8
Number Of Ingredients 0
- For the pastry. If using ready-made shortcrust, roll out as thinly as possible and line the tin. If making your own pastry, place flour and sugar in bowl of food processor, cut cold butter into small (1cm approx) cubes and add to dry ingredients. Process briefly until mix resembles breadcrumbs. Tip into bowl, add egg and cold water. Mix with knife until dough comes together. Knead very briefly just to bring mix to a smooth dough, wrap in cling film and refrigerate for at least 30 mins. (If you don't have a food processor, rub butter into flour until mix resembles breadcrumbs, then proceed as above).
- Remove dough from fridge. If it feels very cold and solid, leave for 10 or 15 minutes at room temperature until it yields a little to your touch. Roll out pastry as thinly as possible and line prepared tin. Reserve excess pastry for another day (you can freeze it - remember to label it sugar dough, not plain!) then return pastry case to fridge for at least half an hour.
- Halve and stone the plums.
- Once pastry has rested for half an hour, pre-heat oven to 190C, remove pastry case from fridge and place plums, cut side up (or other fruit), and evenly distributed, inside pastry case. Mix all filling ingredients together, beat well and pour over plums. Sprinkle over some flaked almonds and a tablespoon of sugar.
- Bake for approximately 35 minutes, turning if necessary, until the filling has risen above the plums and is a lovely deep golden brown. The flaked almonds should have slightly caramelised. If it looks a bit pale, leave for another five minutes and check again - it should be the colour of toffee. You can bake the tart earlier in the day or even the day before, just reheat in a moderate oven for about ten or 15 minutes (or, even better, if the oven has been on for the main course at a hot temperature, just put the tart in the oven when you turn the oven off and it will be perfect for dessert). Serve with thick cream, yoghurt, sour cream or ice cream.
More about "almond and plum tart recipes"
ALMOND AND PLUM TART - CHATELAINE.COM
3.5/5 (44)Total Time 55 minsCategory RecipesCalories 307 per serving
PLUM TART WITH ALMOND CRUST - THE PIE ACADEMY
PLUM ALMOND MEAL TART - REAL RECIPES FROM MUMS
RUSTIC ALMOND PLUM TART RECIPE - SUGAR SALT MAGIC
PLUM AND ALMOND CREAM TART - JOANNE EATS WELL WITH …
PLUM AND ALMOND TART RECIPE - BBC FOOD
PLUM-ALMOND TART | WILLIAMS SONOMA
ALMOND-PLUM TART RECIPE - DELISH
PLUM AND ALMOND TART - MATT MORAN
ALMOND AND PASTRY PLUM TART RECIPE | EAT SMARTER USA
ALMOND CREAM AND PLUM TART RECIPE - LET THE BAKING …
PLUM AND ALMOND TART - WAITROSE
PLUM AND ALMOND TARTS BY SAM GATES - PLUM COTTAGES
SUGAR PLUM ALMOND TORTE – RECIPE AFFINITY
PLUM AND ALMOND TART | CANADIAN LIVING
ALMOND-PLUM TART RECIPE | RECIPES.NET
PLUM AND ALMOND TART RECIPE - BAKERRECIPES.COM
MARY BERRY’S PLUM AND ALMOND TART RECIPE - EASY KITCHEN
SUMMER PLUM AND ALMOND TART - MY STUDIO KITCHEN
PLUM TART RECIPE (WITH FRANGIPANE) | KITCHN
FRENCH ALMOND PLUM CAKE - THE DARING GOURMET
PLUM AND ALMOND TART WITH HOMEMADE PASTRY - NICKY'S KITCHEN …
ALMOND PLUM TART - BAKE FROM SCRATCH
RUSTIC PLUM-AND-ALMOND TART RECIPE | MYRECIPES
PLUM ALMOND TART - NOW FROM SCRATCH
PLUM AND ALMOND TART - BAKING RECIPES - COUNTRY LIVING
THREE CLASSIC PLUM AND ALMOND TART RECIPES | GARDENS ILLUSTRATED
RUSTIC PLUM AND ALMOND TART - ANNABEL & GRACE
EASY PLUM & ALMOND TART - WALLFLOWER KITCHEN
PLUM-ALMOND TART RECIPE | BON APPéTIT
PLUM TART WITH ALMOND CRUST | THE COOKING GLOBETROTTER
ALMOND AND PLUM TART - CHATELAINE.COM | RECIPE | PLUM RECIPES, …
SIMPLE MIRABELLE PLUM ALMOND TART - BELULA
PLUM AND ALMOND TART | WILTON
ALMOND CUSTARD PLUM TART - ZEELA'S FOOD ADVENTURES
MIRABELLE PLUM & ALMOND TART - OUR RECIPE WITH PHOTOS - MEILLEUR …
#30-minutes-or-less #time-to-make #course #preparation #occasion #desserts #holiday-event #new-years #thanksgiving #independence-day #valentines-day
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How do you make a simple plum tart?Place butter in a large bowl. Using an electric mixer, beat in sugar until well mixed, 3 minutes. Beat in egg and almond extract, then ground almonds and flour. Scrape into tart shell and smooth surface. Tuck plums partway into batter, forming concentric circles. Sprinkle with pinches of sugar. Place tart on a baking sheet.
How do you make a plums and almonds cake?Preheat oven to 500F (260C). For filling, slice unpeeled plums into thin wedges, then set aside. Place butter in a large bowl. Using an electric mixer, beat in sugar until well mixed, 3 minutes. Beat in egg and almond extract, then ground almonds and flour. Scrape into tart shell and smooth surface.
What to eat with plums and almonds?This deep-filled plum and almond tart combines the classic pairing of freshly picked British plums and almonds. Serve warm from the oven with a good dollop of sour cream or crème fraîche. For the pastry, sift the flour into a large bowl with a pinch of salt. Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
What do you do with plums for dessert?Combine juicy plums with almonds, limoncello or spices in these delicious autumnal tart recipes. Make your own pastry, or use shop-bought for a speedy dessert. A star rating of 4.6 out of 5.