Onion marmalade is kind of a game changer for burgers, grilled cheese, or even a charcuterie board. It's called a marmalade because the knife cut we use is long and stringy, kind of like a citrus.
Provided by Justin Devillier
Yield 2 servings
Number Of Ingredients 5
- Thinly slice the onions by first cutting in half, then removing the core at an angle. Thinly slice the onions like a fan. Over medium heat, add the oil followed by the onions. The onions will start to sweat and cook down, releasing their liquid. Continue to cook over low heat, stirring every 2-3 minutes until the moisture is gone, 20 minutes or more as needed, depending on moisture level of the onions.
- When all of the moisture's been cooked out of the onions, turn the heat back to medium, add the sugar, a pinch of salt, and the vinegar and bring to a boil to dissolve the sugar and combine. Turn the heat to low and reduce until the mixture is a thick jam, about 45 minutes.
VIDALIA ONION MARMALADE
Provided by Food Network
Yield 2 to 2 1/2 cups
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Saute the onion in hot oil in skillet over medium high heat with the salt, pepper, and cayenne, cook stirring often, for about 10 to 12 minutes, or until the onions are golden. Add the sugar and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the vinegar and parsley and cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat, cool and serve.
- Can be stored in airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
RED ONION MARMALADE
- Heat olive oil and butter in a large skillet over medium heat; cook and stir onions and sugar in hot oil until onions start to caramelize, about 15 minutes. Stir red wine and balsamic vinegar into onion mixture and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until liquid is evaporated, 15 to 20 minutes more. Season with salt.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 111.5 calories, Carbohydrate 11.7 g, Cholesterol 3.8 mg, Fat 4.9 g, Fiber 0.6 g, Protein 0.5 g, SaturatedFat 1.4 g, Sodium 14.9 mg, Sugar 9.1 g
SPICED ONION MARMALADE
- Heat oil in heavy medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and garlic; sauté until onions just begin to brown, about 10 minutes. Add vinegar and sugar and cook 5 minutes, stirring often. Stir in tomato paste, ginger, cloves and nutmeg. Reduce heat to low and simmer until marmalade is thick, stirring often, about 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper. (Can be made 5 days ahead. Cover and chill. Rewarm before serving.)
RED ONION MARMALADE
- Wrap cloves, peppercorns, allspice, and bay leaf in a small piece of cheesecloth and tie with kitchen twine to enclose.
- Place onion, wine, vinegar, and sugar in a small saucepan; stir to combine. Add spice sachet and cover saucepan. Place over medium heat and simmer until onions are translucent and liquid is syrupy, about 30 minutes.
- Remove saucepan from heat, discard spice sachet, and let cool slightly before serving.
SAVORY ONION MARMALADE
As a condiment, this is top of the list! Long, slow cooking lends the onions succulence and depth, which, in turn, adds a wonderful rich flavor to almost any dish. Try this on toast, biscuits, potatoes, pizza, in sandwiches, in a soup or stew, and especially good over Sun Dried Tomato Polenta Cutlets! From Moosewood Restaurant Low Fat Favorites Cookbook. Enjoy!
Provided by Sharon123
Yield 2 cups
Number Of Ingredients 8
- In a well seasoned cast iron or nonstick skillet, combine the onions, 1 tbls.
- of the water, the garlic, salt, pepper, thyme, and vinegar and/or red wine, if using.
- Cover and cook on medium low heat for 30 to 45 minutes, stirring often and adding water as needed, until the onions are dark brown, sweet, and richly flavored.
- Chill well before serving.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 146, Fat 0.4, SaturatedFat 0.2, Sodium 596.4, Carbohydrate 34, Fiber 6.1, Sugar 13.7, Protein 4.3
- Heat oil in heavy medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and sautéuntil beginning to soften (do not brown), stirring frequently, about 8 minutes. Add 1/2 cup water, sugar, cranberries, and mustard seeds. Cook until almost all liquid is absorbed, stirring often, about 8 minutes. Add vinegar and simmer until marmalade is thick, stirring often, 7 to 8 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cool. DO AHEAD: Can be made 1 week ahead. Cover and chill.
RED ONION MARMALADE
Got this out of the local paper. It is so good! You could use it on almost anything. It goes great on grilled cheese too! I'm not sure how many servings it makes.
Provided by WI Cheesehead
Yield 1 1/2 cups, 8 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 7
- Halve onions lengthwise and cut into thin slices.
- Heat butter in large heavy skillet set over medium heat.
- When melted and hot, add onions and sugar and stir occasionally until onions are soft and start to caramelize, 10 to 15 minute.
- Add wine and 1/4 cup vinegar and stir until mixture almost comes to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until liquids have evaporated and onion is shiny, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and sprinkle in salt, adding more if needed.
- For tarter taste, stir in another 2 to 3 teaspoons vinegar.
- The marmalade can be prepared 5 days ahead; cover and refrigerate.
- Reheat, stirring, just to warm before using. Makes about 1 1/2 cups.
RED ONION MARMALADE
Soft, sticky onion marmalade - great with pâtés and terrrines or a ploughman's lunch
Provided by Barney Desmazery
Categories Condiment, Side dish, Snack
Yield Fills about four 500ml jars
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Halve and thinly slice the onions, then thinly slice the garlic. Melt the butter with the oil in a large, heavy-based saucepan over a high heat. Tip in the onions and garlic and give them a good stir so they are glossed with butter. Sprinkle over the sugar, thyme leaves, chilli flakes if using and some salt and pepper. Give everything another really good stir and reduce the heat slightly. Cook uncovered for 40-50 minutes, stirring occasionally. The onions are ready when all their juices have evaporated, they're really soft and sticky and smell of sugar caramelising. They should be so soft that they break when pressed against the side of the pan with a wooden spoon. Slow cooking is the secret of really soft and sticky onions, so don't rush this part.
- Pour in the wine, vinegar and port and simmer everything, still uncovered, over a high heat for 25-30 minutes, stirring every so often until the onions are a deep mahogany colour and the liquid has reduced by about two-thirds. It's done when drawing a spoon across the bottom of the pan clears a path that fills rapidly with syrupy juice. Leave the onions to cool in the pan, then scoop into sterilised jars and seal. Can be eaten straight away, but keeps in the fridge for up to 3 months.
Onions become sweet and mild if they are slowly cooked. Use this "marmalade" as a topping for grains, a sandwich spread or a bruschetta topping.
Provided by Martha Rose Shulman
Categories weekday, condiments, sauces and gravies
Yield Makes about 1 1/4 cups
Number Of Ingredients 7
- Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Add the onions. Cook, stirring, until they begin to sizzle and soften, three to five minutes. Add a generous pinch of salt. Turn the heat to low, cover and cook slowly for 45 minutes, stirring often. The onions should melt down almost to a purée. Add the garlic, thyme and capers, and taste and adjust salt. Stir together, cover and simmer for another 15 to 30 minutes until the mixture is sweet and golden. Remove the lid; if there is liquid in the pan, cook uncovered until the purée is thick and the liquid is gone.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 139, UnsaturatedFat 6 grams, Carbohydrate 19 grams, Fat 7 grams, Fiber 3 grams, Protein 2 grams, SaturatedFat 1 gram, Sodium 555 milligrams, Sugar 11 grams
More about "onion marmalade recipes"
EASY STICKY ONION MARMALADE (STEP BY STEP) | FUSS FREE ...
5/5 (6)Category Jams And PreservesCuisine BritishCalories 76 per serving
- Put the butter and oil in a big heavy pan (I use a heavy cast iron casserole dish)and melt over a low heat. Stir in the onion to coat it thoroughly with the oil and melted butter.
- Sauté the onions on a low heat, stirring from time to time until they are sticky and soft. The key here is to go slowly. You want to soften rather than fry them. Don't be tempted to turn the heat up and rush this stage, which takes at least 20–30 minutes. Using a good solid pan will really help to prevent hot spots, so that the onions cook evenly.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and stir in. At this stage you may think there is too much liquid, but don't worry. It will all cook down to make a lovely sticky final marmalade. Turn the heat right down and leave it to do its thing. Stir from time to time, swiping the spoon all over the bottom of the pan to check that nothing has stuck. Again, do not rush this stage, which can take up to an hour.
ONION MARMALADE RECIPE - BBC FOOD
ONION MARMALADE RECIPE | MYRECIPES
5/5 (1)Calories 11 per servingServings 24
CONFITURE D'OIGNONS (ONION MARMALADE)
SUPER EASY RED ONION MARMALADE/CHUTNEY (+ VIDEO!) - LARDER ...
RED ONION MARMALADE | RECIPES | DELIA ONLINE
ONION MARMALADE | TASTY KITCHEN: A HAPPY RECIPE COMMUNITY!
ONION MARMALADE - TV CHANNEL | EASY RECIPES, TV SHOWS
ONION MARMALADE - RECIPE - FINECOOKING
ONION MARMALADE RECIPE | BON APPéTIT
SWEET AND SPICY CANNED ONION MARMALADE - AN OREGON COTTAGE
PRESERVED ONION MARMALADE - LORD BYRON'S KITCHEN
ONION MARMALADE - CLAIRE K CREATIONS
CARAMELIZED ONION MARMALADE RECIPE | MYRECIPES
ONION MARMALADE RECIPE | CHELSEA SUGAR
RED ONION MARMALADE | BETTER HOMES & GARDENS
ONION MARMALADE RECIPE - NDTV FOOD
CARAMELIZED ONION MARMALADE - THE RECIPE WENCH
FRENCH ONION MARMALADE | CONFIT D' OIGNON | WHAT'S COOKING ...
BALSAMIC ONION MARMALADE - JUST A TASTE
HOW TO MAKE SWEET ONION MARMALADE - DUMMIES
STICKY ONION MARMALADE RECIPE / RIVERFORD
SPANISH ONION MARMALADE RECIPES - BENIDORMSERIOUSLY
SWEET ONION MARMALADE - THE SUBURBAN SOAPBOX
RED ONION MARMALADE | CANADIAN LIVING
15 RECIPES WITH ORANGE MARMALADE | ALLRECIPES
ONION MARMALADE - ANOTHERFOODBLOGGER
28 ONION MARMALADE RECIPES IDEAS IN 2021 | RECIPES, ONION ...
RECIPE - ONION & BROWN SUGAR MARMALADE - LCBO
ONION MARMALADE RECIPE (STEP BY STEP + VIDEO) - WHISKAFFAIR
BACON RED ONION MARMALADE - THIS SILLY GIRL'S KITCHEN
RED WINE ONION MARMALADE - PERFECT CONDIMENT, MADE EASY
MARMALADE RECIPES | BBC GOOD FOOD
ONION MARMALADE RECIPE | THE COOKING CAT
RED ONION MARMALADE RECIPE | WOOLWORTHS
RED ONION MARMALADE RECIPE - FEED YOUR SOLE
#60-minutes-or-less #time-to-make #course #preparation #low-protein #healthy #condiments-etc #low-fat #dietary #low-sodium #low-cholesterol #low-calorie #low-in-something
Carmelized Onions Red Onion Jam Recipe Garlic Marmalade Canning3.9K views-15:03
Best (and easy) Red Onion Marmalade Recipe47K views-02:25
Caramalized Onion Jam Recipe | Healthy Jam Recipe | Homemade Onion Jam By Ruchira943 views-03:25
Onion Marmalade | How to Make Onion Marmalade6.3K views-10:40
How to make homemade Focaccia - Jack Daniels Caramelized Onion Marmalade - Recipe - BBQGuys.com3.7K views-02:35
ONION PRESERVE RECIPE / Elissa's Onion Marmalade Chutney Recipe for Pressure Canning4.1K views-09:02
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How do you make red onion Marmalade?This red onion marmalade might look complicated, but it’s really not. The hardest part is chopping up the onions, then it’s just a matter of waiting for it to reduce down enough. Firstly heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the onions and then stir well to coat in the oil. Cook for around 20 minutes until the onions have softened.
What is onion marmalade made of?Red Onions – The key ingredient of this Onion Marmalade is Red Onion. They are thinly sliced and cooked along with other ingredients to make this simple marmalade which will add flavor to many recipes. Make sure to slice them evenly for the best result.
How do you make caramelised onions?Heat the oil in a large heavy-based pan. Add the onions and cook very gently for 30 minutes, stirring now and then, until very soft and caramelising. Add a third of the sugar and cook for another 15 minutes.
How do you cook marmalade without burning it?Keep the heat to medium while cooking the marmalade, as it helps the onions to cook evenly. If you cook it on high heat, it will get brown fast without cooking all the onions evenly. Stirring frequently will make sure that your onion doesn’t get burn and the marmalade comes out beautifully.